Artwork from Super Mario 3D World
|First appearance||Mario & Wario (1993)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario Bros. Wonder (2023)|
Rock Blocks (or rock blocks) are a variety of block found throughout the Super Mario franchise. They are made of stone and typically harder to break than other blocks. They usually require the player to perform a particularly strong move or be under the effect of a specific power-up to break. In most appearances, Rock Blocks function similarly to the Black Bricks in Super Mario 64 DS.
There are similar objects in the Super Mario series called Hard Blocks, a throwable Stone in Super Mario Maker 2, and an obstruction called the stone block in Paper Mario, but they have different properties from the Rock Block. In Super Mario Odyssey, the Brick Blocks in the Wooded Kingdom are made of stone but otherwise function normally.
Mario & Wario
Rock Blocks are nearly identical to later appearances in Mario & Wario, being hit once to be cracked open.
Yoshi's Island series
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Cracked blocks are found in many levels of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. In the Yoshi franchise, Cracked blocks are large blocks made of a durable type of rock, and can only be destroyed with Yoshi Eggs.
Yoshi's Island DS
Rock blocks appear in Yoshi's Story. They are roughly the same as in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, as they can only be destroyed by Yoshi Eggs. Golden rock blocks also appear in the game; they cannot be destroyed by any means.
A different variety of Rock Blocks appeared as obstacles that Wario encountered during the events of Wario World. They can be small or very large, but each has a weak point indicated by a cracked side with a bandage on it. Wario can break these blocks by punching or Ground Pounding the weak side. The blocks can also be destroyed by using a Piledriver, Wild Swing-Ding, or Mega Toss. In some areas, Rock Blocks can move upward and slam down like a Thwomp to squash Wario.
Super Mario series
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario 3D World / Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Rock Blocks reappear in Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury as a gray variation of Big Blocks. They cannot be destroyed by the player on their own (except when under the effects of a Mega Mushroom), therefore, the player must make use of other means to break them, such as Bob-ombs, cannonballs, having them be hit by a Conkdor, among others.
In the Bowser's Fury campaign of Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, throwing a Green Shell at a Rock Block destroys it.
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Names in other languages
|Italian||Blocco di Roccia
Blocco pietra (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker)
|Block [made out] of Rock|
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) Issue #14, page 48, and Nintendo Magazine System (AU) Issue #13, page 16.
- Wario World instruction booklet, page 22 (British English) or page 24 (American English).
- Musa, Alexander, and Geson Hatchett. Super Mario 3D World PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 19.
- "Rock block, so blue and hard. Break it with eggs, leave it in shards." – Message Block in Yoshi's Story
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 28.
- Fletcher Black. Super Mario Galaxy: PRIMA Official Game Guide (Collector's Edition). Roseville: Prima Games, 2007. Page 313. ISBN: 978-0-76155-713-5.
- Mario & Wario instruction booklet, page 8.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario 3D World section, page 234.
- Wario World Italian manual, pag. 22
- Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge Italian e-manual, section 9
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 234