NES (left) and SNES (right) sprites
|First appearance||Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition (2010)|
|Effect||Turns Mario or Luigi into Hammer Mario / Hammer Luigi.|
The Hammer Suit (alternatively Hammer Bros. Suit, Hammer Brothers Suit, or Hammer Brother Suit) is an item found in Super Mario Bros. 3 and its SNES and Game Boy Advance versions. This item transforms Mario or Luigi into Hammer Mario or Hammer Luigi, which gives them the ability to throw hammers, like the Hammer Bros.
Hammers thrown by Hammer Mario or Hammer Luigi can defeat almost everything, including Bowser, but as with other power-ups, one hit from an enemy causes them to lose their power. They also gain a fireball-proof shell when ducking (like Buzzy Beetles, which they resemble), but cannot slide down hills. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 adds a new utility to this suit: its hammers can break Gray Brick Blocks.
In the original Super Mario Bros. 3, retrieving a Hammer Suit will make Mario and Luigi's skin turn a darker, yellowish tone which resembles the appearance of Hammer Bros in this game, while no other power-ups in the game do so. On the map screen, in official artwork, and in other versions, Mario and Luigi's skin colors stay the same when they wear the suit.
Names in other languages
|Italian||Abito martello||Hammer suit|
|Spanish||Traje de Martillo||Hammer Suit|
- The Hammer Suit (as well as Hammer Mario) is not mentioned in the original NES or All-Stars versions' instruction booklets. The Virtual Console re-release's Operations Guide, which is based on them, also has no reference to it. In the original game, it is something of a "secret" powerup, as it only shows up in hidden areas and randomly from Toad Houses, though in later versions, it is made to consistently appear in certain Toad Houses.
- Nintendo Power Volume 13, page 10.
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 North American instruction booklet, page 27.
- Nintendo Power Volume 13, pages 5, 61 and 62.
- "Fly above the action using the Super Leaf, swim faster by donning the Frog Suit, or defeat enemies using the Hammer Bros. Suit." - Super Mario Bros. 3 details on Virtual Console and Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online
- Nintendo Power Volume 13, page 71.
- Nintendo Power Volume 13, page 70.