- This article is about the form of Mario that resembles a Hammer Bro. For the form Mario takes after obtaining a Super Hammer in Super Mario Maker 2, see Builder Mario.
|Applies to||Mario, Luigi|
|Item needed||Hammer Suit|
|Power(s) given||Throw hammers, block enemy fireballs|
|First appearance||Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario Maker 2 (cameo) (2019)|
Hammer Mario, also referred to as Hammer Brother Mario, is a form of Mario or Luigi only seen in Super Mario Bros. 3 and its SNES and Game Boy Advance remakes, gained when he wears a Hammer Suit.
Super Mario series
Super Mario Bros. 3 / Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
In this form, Mario and Luigi resemble a Hammer Brother and, like one, are able to throw an infinite supply of hammers in a short upward arc (which can be lengthened by pressing forward on the ). Hammers can defeat most enemies, even those that cannot be defeated with fireballs, such as the Angry Sun, Buzzy Beetles, Boos, Bullet Bills, Chain Chomps, Dry Bones, Firesnakes, Hot Foots, Podoboos, Para-Beetles, Stretches, and Thwomps; they can also defeat Boom Boom and Bowser. They cannot defeat Roto-Discs, Jelectros or Koopalings. As such, this form can be considered a stronger version of the Fire form. As with fireballs, only two hammers can be thrown at a time, but hammers can fly through ceilings, walls, and floors. Mario and Luigi can also block enemies' fireballs in this form by crouching, but they cannot slide down slopes.
Despite the official artwork depicting Hammer Mario with his normal complexion and outfit colors underneath, his NES sprite depicts him with tan skin in levels, a white shirt, white shoes, and black overalls, while his 16-bit sprites depict him with a brown shirt and gray overalls.
Super Mario Advance 4 adds a new utility to this form: its hammers can break Gray Brick Blocks.
This form is not to be confused with Mario or Luigi wielding a hammer, with the difference being the infinite disposable supply of hammers and the black shell armor.
Super Mario Maker / Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS / Super Mario Maker 2
In Super Mario Maker, Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS, and Super Mario Maker 2, knocking on a Warp Door in the Super Mario Bros. 3 theme may cause Weird Mario to appear in this form. In the latter game, Builder Mario's hammer swing can break Hard Blocks (similar to the Gray Brick Blocks in Super Mario Advance 4) and defeat most usually unbeatable foes, like this form.
|Super Mario Bros. 3||Power-up for Mario/Luigi||1988||NES|
|Super Mario All-Stars||Power-up for Mario/Luigi||1993||SNES|
|Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World||Power-up for Mario/Luigi||1994||SNES|
|Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3||Power-up for Mario/Luigi||2003||Game Boy Advance|
|WarioWare: Twisted!||Cameo in microgame||2004||Game Boy Advance|
|Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition||Power-up for Mario/Luigi||2010||Wii|
|NES Remix 2||2014||Wii U|
|Super Mario Maker||Easter egg after knocking on a Warp Door in the Super Mario Bros. 3 game style||2015||Wii U|
|Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS||Easter egg after knocking on a Warp Door in the Super Mario Bros. 3 game style||2016||Nintendo 3DS|
|Super Mario Maker 2||Easter egg after knocking on a Warp Door in the Super Mario Bros. 3 game style||2019||Nintendo Switch|
Artwork from Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario All-Stars (Super Mario Bros. 3)
Japanese Super Mario Bros. 3 strategy guide
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Hamer Mario||Hammer Mario|
|Italian||Mario Martello||Hammer Mario|
- In the episode "Reptiles in the Rose Garden" in The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3, Mario and Luigi wear Sledge Brother disguises that make them resemble the Hammer form, in an attempt to hijack the Doom Ship, but the disguises fail to trick the Sledge Brothers piloting the ship.
- In Super Mario Odyssey, Mario can throw hammers to attack similarly to the Hammer Mario form when he captures a Hammer Bro.
- This is the only form from Super Mario Bros. 3 that has yet to reappear in a later Mario game (excluding reissues).
- Nintendo Power Volume 13, page 42.
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 North American instruction booklet, page 27.
- Nintendo Power Volume 10, page 56.