|It has been suggested that this page be split into the following: Bolt Lift, cylinder. (discuss)|
A Bolt Lift in Super Mario 3D Land
|First appearance||Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)|
|Latest appearance||New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019)|
Super Mario series
Super Mario Bros. 3 / Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
They serve as platforms in Super Mario Bros. 3. They only appear on airships, and are usually only horizontal. Like Donut Lifts, Mario and Luigi must continually jump to avoid falling. However, with each jump, the Bolt Lift moves to the right slightly, so they can be used as a transport above bottomless pits or dangerous Rocket Engines. Bumping a Bolt Lift from below moves it to the left.
Super Mario Galaxy
In Super Mario Galaxy, Bolt Lifts are located in Dreadnought Galaxy. Here, they are operated by standing on the right side, so that they twist like a screw and move forward on the screw that they are on. The player has to stay in motion to avoid falling.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Bolt Lifts reappear in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, behaving the same as in Super Mario Bros. 3. Only two appear in the entire game, specifically in World 4- in the secret area with the level's second Star Coin.
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U / New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Nuts return in New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, acting the same as they did in the previous games. They appear in the level The Mighty Cannonship in the former and in the level All Aboard! in the latter.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Bolt Lifts appear occasionally in forts and castles in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, where they are called tumblers or cylinders. These objects are massive, and are rendered through the SuperFX chip; due to their sheer size, they take up the entire length of the screw they are on, but will still spin Yoshi off of them. Their behavior is similar to rolling logs in later games.
In Yoshi's Story, Bolt Lifts, known as rollers or logs, behave as they do in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, appearing in Mecha Castle. Here, they are made out of wood. When walking on them, Yoshis face the screen.
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Bolt Lifts also appear in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Here, they are found in the Gate, and work very much like isometric versions of their Super Mario Bros. 3 counterparts. Also, falling off of them usually results in being thrown back to the beginning of them (usually in a humorous way involving trampolines) rather than death.
|Super Mario Galaxy||ObjectData/SeesawMoveNutB.arc||SeesawMoveNutB||Seesaw Move Nut B|
|Super Mario Galaxy||StageData/ObjNameTable.arc/ObjNameTable.tbl||回転進行ナット(八角) (Kaiten Shinkō Natto (hakkaku))||Spin Progress Nut (octagon)|
|Super Mario 3D Land||romfs/ObjectData/LavaWheelNutA||LavaWheelNutA||Lava Wheel Nut A|
|New Super Mario Bros. U||content/Common/actor/bolt.szs||bolt||Bolt|
Names in other languages
- M. Arakawa. NES Game Atlas. Pages 34 and 44.
- Peterson, Erik. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 Player's Guide. Page 62.
- Hodgson, David S J. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Pages 53, 86, 98.
- Stratton, Steve. New Super Mario Bros. U PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 120.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 123.
- Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 Player's Guide. Page 34.
- Leung, Jason, Terry Munson, and Scott Pelland. Yoshi's Story Player's Guide. Page 114.
- Prima Bath. Nintendo 64 Game Secrets, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 115.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, pages 41, 136, 150, 216.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario 3D Land section, page 186.
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック スーパーマリオ★ヨッシーアイランド」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook – Super Mario: Yossy Island), page 26.
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック ヨッシーストーリー」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook – Yoshi's Story), page 108.