|First appearance||Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch) (2023)|
The Czar Dragon is a dragon made out of many Lava Babbles and the boss of the Barrel Volcano, who is guarding the sixth Star Piece in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. The dragon first appears when a group of Lava Babbles join together to form it, and it immediately attacks the party. The dragon is physically strong and uses a small variety of powerful magic, most notable of them Flame Wall. It will also summon Helio to kamikaze-strike the party, similar to Punchinello. In the end, the dragon falls, but it promptly rises from the grave as Zombone. Mario and friends must fight an even more difficult battle, but prevail and acquire the Star Piece, only to have it snatched by the Axem Rangers.
"Czar" is a Russian title meaning "Emperor," derived from the title "Caesar" used during the Roman Empire. "Kaiser," the Japanese name for the dragon, comes from the German word for "Emperor," which was also derived from the title of "Caesar". The Czar Dragon resembles the Blargg species from Super Mario World.
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
|Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars enemy|
|Attack||160||Magic attack||120||Location(s)||Barrel Volcano||Bonus Flower||None|
|Evade||20%||Magic evade||0%||Strong||Fire, Sleep, Critical||Morph rate||0%|
|Coins||0||Exp. points||100||Spells||Water Blast, Flame Wall||Sp. attacks||Iron Maiden (Alone)|
|Psychopath||"Flamin' hot, right at ya!"|
Japanese Thought Peek quote
- もえてます。まさに今もえております。どうでしょう (I'm burning. I'm burning right now. What do you think?)
Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch)
|Found In||Barrel Volcano|
|Monster List profile|
|Stone statues were built in its image to soothe its temper. But the likeness was way off, so in the end they didn't have much of an effect.|
|I'm fired up! Seriously, I'm on fire. How about that?|
Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch)
Names in other languages
|French||Dragon 1er||Dragon I|
|Italian||Zar Dragone||Czar Dragon|
|Spanish||Dragón zar||Czar Dragon|
- In Final Fantasy VI (a game also created by Square), there is an unused enemy known as with an unfinished battle script. It was brought back as the superboss (the Japanese name of both dragons) in Final Fantasy VI Advance, though an exact copy of the original Kaiser Dragon still exists in the game data. The name of its second form, Zombone, is also derived from Final Fantasy VI.
- The rendition of the Czar Dragon in the game intro is internally known as "Magidragon" in the English version, whereas it was blank in the Japanese version.
- The Czar Dragon shares the transformation undergone by Bowser in New Super Mario Bros., who becomes Dry Bowser after being dropped into a pool of lava.
- The Czar Dragon's sprites and render have several differences in design, with the render having a smooth body and tube-like neck while the sprites add more detail, with the body having a stitched garment shared with Zombone (albeit red instead of brown) and the neck being made from Lava Babbles.
|Species||Big Lava Bubble • Black Lava Bubble • Bō • Ember • Lava Babble • Lava Blubble • Lava Bubble • Lava Ghost • Paper Macho Lava Bubble • Phantom Ember • Poison Bubble|
|Relatives||Fire Bar • Fire Snake • Podoboo Tower|