|First appearance||Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch) (2023)|
Jinnie (originally known as Fautso) is a fat genie-like enemy in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and its remake. Its original is likely a cross between "fatso" and "Faust", while its later name is a pun on "genie"/"djinni". A Jinnie can only be summoned to battle by a Pleaseno. Its Thought Peek thought suggests that it was being held captive by the Pleaseno and was forced to fight Mario. In battle, it is resistant against most status effects such as fire and thunder, but it is weak against ice and jump attacks. It is proficient in using the spells Meteor Blast, Boulder and Aurora Flash. Overall, it has stats that are well rounded, but inferior to Pleaseno. However, the reward for defeating the Jinnie is low, because the player gains 5 exp. with no coins or items.
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
|Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars enemy|
|Attack||130||Magic attack||60||Location(s)||Bean Valley||Bonus Flower||Attack Up! (20%)|
|Defense||100||Magic defense||60||Weak||Jump, Ice||Items||None|
|Evade||10%||Magic evade||0%||Strong||Fire, Thunder, Fear, Poison, Mute||Morph rate||0%|
|Coins||0||Exp. points||5||Spells||Aurora Flash, Boulder, Meteor Blast||Sp. attacks||Glowing Shot|
|Psychopath||"Thanks to you I'm free!"|
Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch)
|Found In||Bean Valley|
|Monster List profile|
|It was caught cheating at treasure-chest slots and confined inside Pleaseno as punishment, where it is being forced to clean.|
|At long, long last, I am FREEEEE!|
Names in other languages
|Contraction of「もくもく」(mokumoku, Japanese onomatopoeic word for billowing smoke) and the honorific「~くん」(-kun)|
|French||Djinnie||Portmanteau of "djinn" (jinn) and "génie" (genie); similar to the English name|
|Italian||Jenyo||Pun on "genio" (genie)|
- An unused enemy from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, named Baba Yaga, resembles a blue Jinnie. Baba Yaga's name comes from the Slavic folklore's Baba Yaga, which is a supernatural being who appears as a deformed/ferocious looking old woman. The only things known about it were that it had higher HP, knows the move Mega Recover, and that its Thought Peek was "Feeling kinda round..." In a Japanese guide, the Bean Valley section shows artwork of Baba Yaga representing Jinnie. Most other times when artwork is shared in the guide, the difference between sprite colors is very subtle.
- During development, the final boss was conceived as an extremely similar genie. It is likely that its design was repurposed as this enemy after Smithy was finalized.
- Jinnie's pink nose is possibly a reference to the genies in the anime series Hakushon Daimaō, where the genies are depicted with pink noses.
- Photograph of SUPER MARIO RPG Hoshizora karano Okurimono guide, found on eBay
- kurashimakaz (March 10, 2021). Tweet by Kazuyuki Kurashima. Twitter. Retrieved March 28, 2022.