Artwork from Super Mario RPG
|First appearance||Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch) (2023)|
Mallow is a major character in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for SNES and its remake for Nintendo Switch. A member of the Nimbus species, he is the biological son of Queen Nimbus and King Nimbus, and initially believes himself to be a tadpole as the adoptive grandson of Frog Sage. He is also the de jure prince of Nimbus Land, as well as Mario's first partner in the game. In battle, Mallow is not especially strong physically; however, he has a strong command of magic, including the ability to heal. All of his special attacks are weather-based.
Mallow was born to the royal family in Nimbus Land, King and Queen Nimbus. However, while still an infant (before the game's beginning), Mallow was lost. He was eventually discovered near Tadpole Pond, by the wise yet hermitic Frog Sage. Frog Sage removed the basket from the waters, discovering a little ball of puff inside. On the cloud child's belt, the name "Mallow" was inscribed. Frog Sage rightly deduced that this was the young cloud person's name, and he decided to raise Mallow as his grandson. The old frog raised him as one of his own, and as such Mallow grew up believing he was a tadpole, despite his unusual appearance in relation to the tadpoles he grew up with. However, throughout his childhood, Mallow never felt like a normal tadpole - he did not have a tail, he was a bad jumper and a terrible swimmer; additionally, he was also much larger than all the other tadpoles.
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
One day, Mallow visited Mushroom Kingdom to buy a Cricket Pie for Frog Sage. However, the Rare Frog Coin he was given to buy it was stolen by Croco, a reptilian thief. Mallow attempted to chase him, but Croco was too fast. Mallow gave up and began to cry. A rainstorm started, revealing Mallow's unusual control over the weather.
Mallow thanked Mario and they returned to Mushroom Kingdom. The two of them rescued Mushroom Kingdom from the monsters it had been overrun with: Shymores and Claymorton, one of the members of the Smithy Gang, recovering a Star Piece in the process.
The Chancellor thanked Mario and Mallow, but revealed that he was worried about Smithy and his weapons. Mallow suggested that he and Mario go to Tadpole Pond to visit his grandfather, Frog Sage, who might know what to do.
When they arrived, Frog Sage told the two that they need to collect seven Star Pieces. Additionally, he revealed a secret he had been hiding: Mallow is not really a tadpole. Mallow was shocked by the news, but Frog Sage told him that his real parents were out there, somewhere, and that he would be joining Mario to help him and to find his real family. Mallow, who had been expecting to stay at Tadpole Pond, nevertheless agreed, and he accompanied Mario on his adventure.
After traveling with Mario for a while, the team went to Nimbus Land, a city on a cloud inhabited by people who looked remarkably like Mallow. When they arrived, they noticed a commotion at the castle. Valentina was telling a group of citizens that she had found "Prince Mallow" after all the time he had been missing. She brought out Dodo, a large bird. Everyone believed that Dodo was indeed their missing prince. Mallow himself mentioned that it was interesting that there was a prince with the same name as him, not suspecting anything. He also suggested to Mario to pass by the area, citing that it was unimportant to the star search.
While in Nimbus Land, they visited Garro, a sculptor. There was a golden sculpture at the side of his room. Mallow noticed it and remarked that it looked identical to him. Garro said that it was the king of Nimbus Land when he was very young; then he turned around. He realized that Mallow was indeed the missing prince and that Dodo was an impostor, and sent them to the castle to stop Valentina. Mallow then found out that he was one of the Nimbus People and indeed their prince; he also finally managed to reunite with his true parents, King Nimbus and Queen Nimbus. Despite his opportunity to return to the throne and take care of princely matters, Mallow decided to continue traveling with Mario until their quest was over.
Mallow was last seen in the first of the many cutscenes generated by the Star Pieces spangling the Star Road during the game's ending sequence. He was here shown presenting himself to his people; the facts that he was dressed in a crown and cape indicate that he had by then taken up the role of prince once and for all.
Mallow also has a clone version of himself that Belome can transform into named "Mallow Clone".
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Mallow appears as a spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The Mallow spirit battle depicts Mallow as a white-colored Robin who often uses Thunder; this, combined with the Lightning item appearing in the battle, references Mallow's use of the Thunderbolt and Shocker special moves, while the battle taking place on the cloudy Magicant references Nimbus Land. Mallow is also represented by a gray Kirby in the Geno spirit battle.
Tetris 99 features an event with Super Mario RPG from November 9th, 11 PM PT to November 13th, 10:59 PM PT to promote the upcoming release of Super Mario RPG. The event includes a new theme for the game which changes the music to themes from Super Mario RPG. It also features frog coins replacing the normal KO indicator and the tetriminos having stars emblazoned on them. Mallow appears alongside Mario, Princess Peach, Bowser, and Geno in the background.
Mallow is a Nimbus with an off-yellow coloration on his body, pink shoes, and pants which are blue and white striped. He has a pink stir of hair, beady eyes, and a brown belt with a light-blue buckle.
Before joining Mario, Mallow suffered from low self esteem and was a bit of a crybaby at times; however, as they journeyed together, he built up his courage and proved himself to be a levelheaded member of the party on numerous occasions (such as when he held Mario back from unwisely attacking Bowyer). Mallow becomes very emotional multiple times in the game: namely, when he fails to apprehend Croco and return Frog Sage's coin, when he finds out he is not a tadpole and Frog Sage is not his real grandfather, when he finds his real parents' wish for him to come on on Star Hill, and when he finally meets his parents. Mallow looks up to Mario as a role-model and admires his jumping skills, much like the other tadpoles do, which was how Mallow was raised. Even Mallow's own father, King Nimbus, enjoys the sight of Mario's jumping abilities.
Powers and abilities
Mallow is a spellcaster, granting him high stats in magic, but not in physical abilities. Mallow's HP count the lowest, but his magic stats are among the best in the game, being similar to Princess Peach. Mallow's defense on both sides is above average, though, temporarily surpassing Mario's before Bowser joins the party. Mallow's offensive spells all hit groups, except for Shocker, making him useful for dispatching crowds. His offensive spells tend to consume fewer Flower Points than those of other characters, giving him an advantage regarding battle endurance. Mallow also has healing abilities in his arsenal that can be useful when Princess Peach is not available. Despite his melee shortcomings, Mallow's ultimate weapon, the Sonic Cymbals, is the third-strongest in the game. In addition, the Prince Pants, his ultimate armor, is tied with the Hero Shirt and Royal Dress as the strongest, not counting the Work Pants, Super Suit, and Lazy Shell, since they can be equipped by anyone.
Mallow, like all other party members in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, learns a new move upon reaching certain levels. His special moves are:
- Thunderbolt – Starting Attack
- HP Rain – Level 3
- Thought Peek – Level 6 (Starting move in the remake)
- Shocker – Level 10
- Snowy – Level 14
- Star Rain – Level 18
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- Instruction booklet bio:
- Who's Who: On the streets of the Mushroom Kingdom, you'll meet this rotund little fellow boo-hooing over the theft of his grandpa's coin. And when Mallow cries, everyone gets soaking wet! Stop the cloudburst by agreeing to help Mallow catch the pickpocket. His strange ability to change the weather will come in mighty handy!
- Level - 2
- HP - 20
- Speed - 18
- Attack - 22
- Defense - 3
- Magic Attack - 15
- Magic Defense - 10
- Experience Level - 30
- Special Attacks:
- FP Used: 2
- Magic Power: 15
- Description: Attacks all enemies with lightning magic. Hit "Y" just before the attack ends to do more damage.
Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch)
- Website bio:
- American English:
A young frog (despite appearances) and the grandson of the Frog Sage. Mallow unleashes the destructive power of weather onto enemies, while healing his allies with rain.
- British English:
Sensitive, but determined, he excels with magic and spells. Calls himself a frog, but doesn't look at all like a frog.
Although he doesn't look at all like one, he calls himself a frog boy. He is a bit of a crybaby, and his cries call rain.
Es muy sensible, pero actúa con decisión. Además, es un experto en la magia y los hechizos. Dice que es una rana, pero no se parece en nada.
He's very sensitive, but acts with determination. Besides, he's an expert in magic and spells. He says he's a frog, but doesn't look anything like it.
- American English:
- Manual pamphlet:
He is a self-proclaimed frog boy, though he doesn't look like one at all.
- Character Highlight (November 9, 2023 article on nintendo.com):
- American English:
A sensitive, young frog (uh, at least he says he’s a frog) who’s ready for a journey of self-discovery.
- French (Canada):
Une jeune grenouille sensible (enfin, il dit être une grenouille) qui est prête pour une aventure d’auto-découverte.
- Portuguese (Brazil):
Um jovem e sensível sapo (pelo menos é isso o que ele diz por aí) que está pronto para uma jornada de autoconhecimento.
- Spanish (Latin America):
Una sensible joven rana (o por lo menos es lo que dice ser) que está lista para emprender un viaje de autodescubrimiento.
- American English:
- The Croco Chase
Mario let me tag along to get back my stolen coin. He's tough, kind, and a really great guy. That crook-o-dile might've left town, so we'd better hurry and chase after him. Mallow
- Got the Coin!
- Claymorton and the Star
- Belome of the Sewers
- Day of Departure
- Mustering the Minions
- Trouble in Rose Town
- Starfall in Moleville
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit
|#||Name||Image||Series / game||Type||Class||Strength / effect(s)||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|103||Mallow||Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars||Support (1)||Advanced||Trade-Off Attacks ↑||World of Light (Light Realm); Summoned with a Prince Peasley and Kracko core||Robin ×3||
Rule: Item: Lightning
|Magicant||Time's Running Out!|
Promotional screenshot for the Nintendo Switch version of Super Mario RPG
Names in other languages
|Russian||Мэлло (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
Мэллоу (Nintendo's website)
- When Mallow uses a special move, a green club is superimposed over his body.
- In many of Mallow's cutscenes, and every time he uses a special move, his body detaches from his pants.
- Mallow's name is an abbreviation of "marshmallow", the consistency of which are associated with clouds.
- In the Japanese version, his homeland and his parents also had the same theme name, though this was changed to Nimbus in the English localization.
- Mallow is the only playable character to be unable to reach 255 HP at maximum level. His maximum HP can reach up to 254 through normal means.
- Pelland, Scott, and Kent Miller. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Player's Guide. Page 30.
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars English instruction booklet. Page 36.
- 「スーパーマリオRPG 取扱説明書」 (Super Mario RPG Toriatsukai Setsumeisho). Page 36.
- Pelland, Scott, and Kent Miller. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Player's Guide. Page 11.
- Pelland, Scott, and Kent Miller. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Player's Guide. Page 20.
- Official United States website of Super Mario RPG for the Nintendo Switch
- Official United Kingdom game page
- Official Japanese website of Super Mario RPG for the Nintendo Switch. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved September 14, 2023. (Archived September 14, 2023, 15:21:59 UTC via Wayback Machine.)
- Official Spain game page
- COOL Japanese Super Mario RPG Manual YouTube.
- November 9, 2023. Super Mario RPG comes out next week! Until then, let’s meet the characters. nintendo.com (USA). Retrieved November 26, 2023. (Archived November 12, 2023, 13:44:38 UTC via Wayback Machine.)
- November 9, 2023. Super Mario RPG comes out next week! Until then, let’s meet the characters. nintendo.com (Canada, English). Retrieved November 26, 2023. (Archived November 12, 2023, 20:00:02 UTC via Wayback Machine.)
- November 9, 2023. Super Mario RPG sort la semaine prochaine! Avant cela, découvrons les personnages. nintendo.com (Canada, French). Retrieved November 26, 2023. (Archived November 25, 2023, 23:16:22 UTC via Wayback Machine.)
- November 9, 2023. Super Mario RPG será lançado na próxima semana! Até lá, vamos conhecer os personagens. nintendo.com (Brazil). Retrieved November 26, 2023. (Archived November 25, 2023, 23:21:55 UTC via Wayback Machine.)
- November 9, 2023. ¡El juego Super Mario RPG será lanzado la próxima semana! Pero mientras tanto, conozcamos a los personajes. nintendo.com (Mexico). Retrieved November 26, 2023. (Archived November 13, 2023, 04:09:18 UTC via Wayback Machine.)
- Good Vibes Gaming (November 2, 2023). We Got a Demo of Super Mario RPG Remake - Here's What We Thought. YouTube. Retrieved November 3, 2023.
- 《超級瑪利歐RPG》的最新資訊公開！ | TOPICS | 任天堂(香港)有限公司網站 Nintendo. Retrieved June 21, 2023.
- "『슈퍼 마리오브라더스 원더』, 『슈퍼 마리오 RPG』, 『끝내주게 춤춰라 메이드 인 와리오』, 「돌아온 명탐정 피카츄」등, Nintendo Switch로 발매되는 타이틀의 최신 정보를 전달!" - Nintendo of Korea. Retrieved June 21, 2023.