Artwork of the chancellor
|First appearance||Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch) (2023)|
- “All we can do is wait here. Don't let us down!”
- —Chancellor, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
The chancellor is an advisor to Princess Peach. He is an older, green-spotted Toad. In Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and its Nintendo Switch remake, the chancellor assumes the princess's duties during her absence. He is also overprotective of the princess, and he forbids her from joining Mario in his quest to defeat Smithy. The chancellor's appearance and actions suggest that he is an earlier counterpart of Toadsworth.
Early in the game, the chancellor gives Mario a map of the world. He also authorizes Mario to stock up on items in the Mushroom Castle's vault, which is protected by the Vault Guard. Additionally, the chancellor is easily frightened (like many other Toads). He is scared of Mario's impersonation of Bowser, and during the Smithy Gang's invasion of the Mushroom Kingdom, the chancellor hides behind a column in the throne room during the entire occupation. He is also forgetful at times.
In Paper Mario, a character known as the Toad Minister or simply the Minister makes an appearance. His color palette is slightly different, noticeably having a white mustache and red robe instead of a black mustache and green robe. While it is unknown if they are intended to be the same individual, the Minister nonetheless takes the place of the chancellor from the previous RPG and serves a nearly identical role as a high-ranking government official. The Minister is imprisoned along with other Toads after Bowser seizes Peach's Castle. Mario meets the prisoners when he storms Bowser's Castle later in the game, and he frees them when Bowser is defeated.
Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch)
- Website bio:
「あれ、もしかして 大臣イヤな予感がします。 ま‥ まさか‥ まさか‥‥」
Minister of the Mushroom Kingdom. As a worrywart, he always frets about Princess Peach.
"I fear the worst. Who could somehow be behind all of this...?"
The Toad Minister in Peach's Castle
- "This is the Toad Minister. Uh... Pleasure to meet you! My name is Goombario, sir. I'm Mario's right hand, sir. Just joking. But seriously, one day I'd love to be invited to a castle party. How about it?"
Names in other languages
|Mushroom Minister (of Government); shortened to「|
- Toad Minister
|Minister (of Government)|
- In a prototype version of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, the chancellor used the same bearded, generic design used for various elderly Toads, including the shopkeeper of the local Item Shop. The original appearance was possibly a placeholder.
- Super Mario RPG Final Edition, pages 37 and 38.
- SUPER MARIO RPG: UN REMAKE PREZIOSO | ANTEPRIMA on YouTube, retrieved on November 3rd, 2023