Chuck Quizmo from Paper Mario.
|First appearance||Paper Mario (2000)|
- “Chuck Quizmo's the name, and quizzes are my game! You want quizzes, I got 'em! If you can manage to answer my brain-busting questions correctly, then... Y... Yaa... Yaaaaaahooo! I'll give you a Star Piece! Want to try a quiz?”
- —Chuck Quizmo, Paper Mario
Chuck Quizmo is a character in the Nintendo 64 game Paper Mario. A multi-colored worm wearing a yellow bow tie and a purple top hat, Chuck Quizmo hosts a quiz game which Mario can participate in to receive sixty-four Star Pieces. His name may be a reference to the game show host Chuck Woolery.
Quizmo appears throughout Paper Mario in different towns and villages, and if Mario speaks with him, Quizmo will transport him to a stage and, along with his assistant Vanna T., ask Mario a question. If Mario answers Quizmo's quiz correctly, he will be rewarded with a Star Piece, and if he answers wrong, he will receive nothing. In the latter case, the same question will be asked the next time Mario speaks with him, thereby still allowing the player to receive all the Star Pieces. After quizzing Mario, Quizmo will teleport away to a different location. In all, Quizmo will ask sixty-four questions, provided Mario makes the effort to find him and accept his quizzes.
If Mario answers all of his questions correctly, Quizmo states that, now that he has found someone with all the answers, he can finally retire as quiz master. After Mario defeats Bowser, Quizmo, along with Vanna T., can be seen in Toad Town outside the dojo; when spoken to, Quizmo will jokingly ask Mario if he wants to participate in another quiz before stating he is in Toad Town merely to attend the festival celebrating the defeat of the Koopa Troop. Quizmo can also be seen in the parade that plays during the Paper Mario credits, expelling fireworks from his hat.
Other appearances and references
In the original Japanese script of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and most translations of the game, the final RDM e-mail mentions that Chuck Quizmo (revealed to be 44-years old) was set to return in a new quiz show named 『しょうじきものは ダレだ！？』 ("Who’s the Honest One!?"), but it took so long in the planning stages that it did not come to fruition in the end. This is an allusion to the fact that he was planned to make an appearance in the final game. The English translation of the game removed the portion of the e-mail where Chuck Quizmo is mentioned, while the French translation substitutes his name with Vanna T.
Areas Chuck Quizmo can be found
- Goomba Village, southwest of the Toad house.
- Koopa Village, near the Save Block.
- Koopa Village, near the blue Warp Pipe.
- Toad Town, under the tree next to Harry's Shop.
- Toad Town, near Merlon's House.
- Toad Town, southeast of Club 64.
- Dry Dry Outpost, near the Entrance.
- Dry Dry Outpost, near the Toad House.
- Yoshi's Village, to the left of the Yoshi Leader.
- Yoshi's Village, south of the Toad House.
- Shiver City, between Herringway and the warehouse buildings.
- Shiver City, to the right of the mayor's house.
- Shiver City, in front of the item store.
- Star Haven, under the first archway near the entrance.
List of questions and answers
The number of questions available depends on how much progress Mario has made in the storyline. All the questions are available after Chapter 7.
|#||Question||Answer 1||Answer 2||Answer 3|
|1||What is the name of Goombario's younger sister?||Goombette||Goombalina||Goombaria|
|2||What is the color of the block you can break with the first Hammer you got?||Red||Yellow||Gray|
|3||What ability does Goombario frequently use?||Jump||Tattle||Dive|
|4||What color of pants was the Goomba King wearing?||Blue and White||Red and Blue||Red and White|
|5||Which of Mario's battle commands is on the far left?||Jump||Item||Strategies|
|6||How many windows does the Goomba House in Goomba Village have?||One||Two||Three|
|7||What's the name of the leader of the Red and Blue Goomba Bros.?||Dr. Goomba||Big Goom||Goomba King|
|8||What color are Luigi's pants?||Blue||Green||Yellow|
|9||How many members are there in Goombario's family?||Four||Five||Six|
|10||What will you receive when you get the right answer in a quiz?||It's me♥||Star Piece||Mushroom|
|11||What is the name of the smart Toad living in Toad Town?||Russ T.||Smarr T.||Toace T.|
|12||How many buildings are there in Koopa Village?||Four||Five||Six|
|13||Of the following, who is NOT a member of the Koopa Bros.?||Red Ninjakoopa||Blue Ninjakoopa||Black Ninjakoopa|
|14||How many coins are needed to buy a Mushroom at the shop in Koopa Village?||2 coins||4 coins||8 coins|
|15||Where does Merluvlee, who tells fortunes about special things, live?||Shooting Star Summit||Toad Town||Bowser's Castle|
|16||What is the name of the character who joined you at the Koopa Bros. Fortress?||Goombario||Kooper||Bombette|
|17||What color is Bowser's hair?||Red||Green||Yellow|
|18||How many Star Spirits do you have to save?||One||Five||Seven|
|19||What's the name of the elderly Koopa Troopa who always asks for errands to be run?||Koopa Krab||Koopa Koot||Old Koop|
|20||How many Bob-ombs besides Bombette were imprisoned in the jail at the Koopa Bros. Fortress?||Four||Eight||Twelve|
|21||Where is the house of the explorer, Kolorado?||Koopa Village||Toad Town||Goomba Village|
|22||What is the destination of the train which departs from Toad Town station?||Goomba Village||Koopa Village||Mt. Rugged|
|23||What is the name of the fellow who sells Badges in Toad Town?||Merlow||Rowf||Kolorado|
|24||What treasure did Bowser steal from Star Haven?||Star Rod||Twink||Princess Peach|
|25||What is the color of the roof of the house in Koopa Village where you can listen to a radio?||Red||Yellow||Blue|
|26||Who does Kooper idolize?||Mario||Kolorado||Koopa Koot|
|27||What does Merlee of Dry Dry Outpost specialize in?||Fortune-telling||Casting spells||Cooking|
|28||Who hides inside a coffin in Dry Dry Ruins?||Mummy Man||Moustafa||Pokey Mummy|
|29||What can you get when you take Star Pieces to Merlow at Shooting Star Summit?||Cards||Coins||Badges|
|30||Who knew the location of Dry Dry Ruins in Dry Dry Desert?||Kolorado||Moustafa||Goombario|
|31||When you want Tayce T., who loves cooking, to make Lemon Candy, what do you have to give her besides a Lemon?||Star Piece||Cake Mix||Mushroom|
|32||Who among the following lives in Forever Forest?||Jr. Troopa||Oaklie||Cleft|
|33||What are Boos, exactly?||Ghosts||Thieves||Sheets|
|34||What appears when you hit the Whacka living on Mt. Rugged?||Heart||Mushroom||Bump|
|35||Other than Lemons, what fruit drops when you hit a tree in the desert oasis?||Coconut||Apple||Lime|
|36||What is the name of the strange person in Toad Town who can increase Mario's status?||Rat Cheepa||Diz Onnest||Chet Rippo|
|37||What ability does Bombette frequently use?||Sing||Dance||Bomb|
|38||What does Gourmet Guy like?||Cake||Mushrooms||Kooper|
|39||Who was the second companion to join your team?||Bombette||Kooper||Parakarry|
|40||Who tried to steal coins from you in the desert?||Pokey||Bandit||Nomadimouse|
|41||What is the name of the Star Spirit who can use Star Storm?||Eldstar||Muskular||Skolar|
|42||What are addressed to your companions and sent to the post office?||Parcels||Letters||Handbills|
|43||Among the following, which building is NOT in Toad Town?||Shop||Station||Mayor's House|
|44||What kind of book did Gourmet Guy drop?||Gardening||Cooking||Fishing|
|45||Who am I?||Sir Quizzby||I. Q. Testa||Chuck Quizmo|
|46||Where do I show up?||In towns and villages||On the street||In the jail|
|47||What is the name of the plant that grows in Jade Jungle and blows out stars?||Trumpet Plant||Hurt Plant||Bellbell Plant|
|48||What color was the leader of Yoshi's Village?||Blue||Green||Pink|
|49||What is the name of the elderly man who tells fortunes in Toad Town?||Merlow||Merlon||Merluvlee|
|50||How many colors of Yoshis did you see in Yoshi's Village?||Six||Eight||Ten|
|51||How would the Yoshi Kids in Yoshi's Village describe Sushie?||Easygoing||Bossy||Sleepy|
|52||What building is across from the Toad Town post office?||Shop||Station||Merlon's house|
|53||What kind of card do you get when you defeat Lee at the Dojo in Toad Town?||First-Degree||Second-Degree||Third-Degree|
|54||What color is the brooch that Princess Peach wears?||Blue||Red||Pink|
|55||Who gave you Miracle Water in Flower Fields?||Posie||Rosie||Lily|
|56||What is the name of Lakilester's girlfriend?||Landolaki||Lakitofu||Lakilulu|
|57||How do you make the Pipe leading to the Toad Town Playroom come out?||Jump||Hit a tree||Hit a switch|
|58||Among the following, who is inside Club 64?||Dancer||Composer||Pop Diva|
|59||Which of the following do Shy Guys never do?||Sing||Dance||Run|
|60||What best describes the relationship between Mario and Luigi?||Neighbors||Friends||Brothers|
|61||Among the following, who is found in Starborn Valley?||Penguin||Lakitu||Ninji|
|62||How many companions do you travel with?||Seven||Eight||Nine|
|63||What is the name of the Star Kid who's always with Princess Peach?||Gleem||Twink||Glo|
|64||How many Star Spirits have you saved in total?||Five||Seven||Ten|
- He's Chuck Quizmo. He tries to quiz anybody who speaks to him. He pops up in various towns and villages, but that doesn't mean he's easy to find. What do you think his deal is? Personally, I'm a little more interested in his assistant. She's cute!
Names in other languages
|German||Wim Quizmo||From former German showmaster Wim Thoelke and the English name|
- Luigi, a Ninjakoopa, Yoshi, Goompapa, and Jr. Troopa can be seen among the audience, along with a Bumpty, Lakitu, Shy Guy, Koopa Troopa, Raven, and a Toad.
- Chuck Quizmo's quiz was the beginning of the running gag of quizzes in the Paper Mario series taking place in a game show stage, despite Mario never moving from where he found Quizmo (such as Koopa Village). This quiz also had the first audience in a Paper Mario game, though it had no function.
- MC Ballyhoo from Mario Party 8 bears a resemblance to Chuck Quizmo, mostly because of the huge top hats the two characters wear.
- In the Japanese version of Paper Mario, some of the wrong answers for Chuck Quizmo's Questions are different than that of the English version:
- Question #1: The wrong answer choice "クリスチーヌ" was later used for Goombella's Japanese name in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Its English equivalent is "Goombette", a name later used for a female Goomba character in Super Mario Odyssey.
- Question #19: The wrong answer choice "ノコタロウ" was later used for Koops' Japanese name in The Thousand-Year Door. Its English equivalent is "Koopa Krab".
- Question #32: The wrong answer choice "ドガボン" is the Japanese name for Tubba Blubba. Its English equivalent is "Jr. Troopa".
- Question #60: The wrong answer choice "こいびと" means lovers in Japanese. Its English equivalent is "Neighbors".