Artwork of a Bumpty for Yoshi's Story
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Crafted World (2019)|
Bumpties are a race of penguin-like creatures that first appeared in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. They are usually found in icy regions, and are generally seen either patrolling or jumping around on the ground, although they can also be seen flying, despite being inspired by penguins. Bumpties have pear- or egg-shaped bodies. Most Bumpties are light-blue; however, they appear blue in Yoshi's Story and lavender in Yoshi's New Island, while purple, blue-gray, green, and teal individuals also appear in Paper Mario. Their name is a corruption of "bumpy", referring to their bouncy, rubbery feathers.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Bumpties are usually found wandering around in icy areas of Yoshi's Island in their debut game, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. While Yoshi can grab Bumpties with his tongue, he cannot eat them. Also, if he runs into one, he is bumped backwards, hence the name. This means that Bumpties cannot hurt Yoshi, though they may bump him into a bottomless pit, costing him a life. Their official artwork depicts them as a more purple shade of indigo.
A certain Bumpty appears only in the SNES version of Tetris Attack, allied with Dr. Freezegood in the "Ice World". It replaces the ice fairy, Sharbet, from Panel de Pon. Here, it is depicted as Yoshi's friend, but enchanted by Bowser and Kamek to work for them. Yoshi and Bumpty become friends again after freeing it and Dr. Freezegood from the spell. It also notes in the game that others say that it is cute, but it really does not like it, and would like to be considered cool.
Yoshi's Island DS
Yoshi's New Island
In Yoshi's New Island, Bumpties appear in Brave the Bumpty Blizzard and Fire Watermelon Wonderland. They are colored purple, similar to their original artwork, instead of blue. Unlike previously, they will not steal Baby Mario if he has been knocked off Yoshi's back.
Yoshi's Woolly World / Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
In Yoshi's Woolly World and Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, Bumpties can be eaten, but not converted into a yarn ball, instead being spat out. They will bounce Yoshi away if they hit him. They can also be used to hit other enemies and Winged Clouds. They appear only in the levels Big Montgomery's Ice Fort, Snowy Mountain Lift Tour and Wonderful World of Wool.
Yoshi's Crafted World
Bumpties reappear in Yoshi's Crafted World, notably being summoned by Burt the Ball in the boss fight against him in Burt's Bouncy Battle. They also appear as basic enemies in Chilly-Hot Isles. Some use buckets as armor to push Yoshi into the water. Yoshi can hit them with eggs to obtain Red Coins. Throwing a Bumpty into the water causes it to drown.
Paper Mario series
Bumpties, referred to simply as penguins, return in Paper Mario. In this game all the penguins are allies, not enemies. At the beginning of the game, a small group of penguins (including Mayor Penguin) attend a party at Peach's Castle prior to the arrival of Bowser. Later, Mario travels to a city of penguins called Shiver City. He also meets a famous penguin named Herringway who is a writer. Additionally, one of the penguins in Shiver City is a participant of the Dojo in Toad Town, having fought his way to a Third-Degree Card.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Penguins also make a small appearance in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door where they live in Poshley Heights, a town of the rich and famous. Mario also meets an incompetent detective penguin named Pennington. The penguins living in Poshley Heights typically say 'eh' in between sentences, an exclamation stereotypically associated with Canadian English.
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
Bumpties also appear in Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, only appearing in the World-e level Slip Slidin' Away. The sprites are the same as in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but with a slightly different palette. Players cannot harm them unless they use a Fire Flower or Hammer Suit. If players try stomping on it, they are bounced off, and if they touch it from the side, players will not be harmed, but they will be knocked off to the side.
Yoshi's Island series
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: むじゃきなしぐさは憎めないが、氷の上では危険な存在。当たるとはね返される。 (Although it's hard to hate its mischievous behavior, it's dangerous on the ice. If you hit it, it will rebound back at you.)
- Player's Guide: Found largely in the snow drifts and ice lakes of World 5, Bumpties can send Yoshi skidding like a hockey puck.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 当たってもダメージは受けないが、はね返されてしまう。食べることはできても、飲みこんでタマゴにすることはできない。 (It does not take damage when it hits you, but it rebounds. They can be eaten, but cannot be swallowed and turned into eggs.)
Yoshi's New Island
- Shogakukan guide: ペンギンのような鳥。触れてもダメージは受けないが、はずむように飛ばされる。じゃまなときは、いったん食べて口に含み、他の敵にぶつけて消滅させよう。 (A penguin-like bird. It does not cause damage when touched, but it will bounce away from you. If it gets in the way, eat it, put it in your mouth, and then hit another enemy to make it disappear.)
- In-game Character profile
Hello everybody, I am Bumpty.
The Ice World is my home. Brrrr! People think I'm cute, but I hate that. Instead, you should just think of me as being cool.
- Japanese language selected
ボクは こおりの せかいに すんでいる ターくんと いいまちゅ
みんな ボクのことを かわいいって ゆーけど
ホントは カッコいいって ゆって ほちいでちゅね！
(Hello, my name is Bumpty.)
(My name is Bumpty, and I live in the cold world. Everyone says I'm cute. But I really wish they'd say I'm cool!)
- Shogakukan guide: 当たり屋ターくんとはボクのこと。 (I'm Bumpty, the lucky one.)
Names in other languages
|Possibly based on「タキシードサム」(Takishīdo Samu, Tuxedo Sam), with Japanese honorific suffix「くん」(kun) attached|
Penguin (Paper Mario series)
|French||Pinboing||From "pingouin" and "boing"|
|From "prallen" (to bounce) and short version of "pinguin" (penguin)|
|Italian||Pinguobalzo||From "pinguino" (penguin) and "rimbalzo" (bounce)|
|Transliterated from the Japanese name|
|From "прыгать" (prygat, to jump) and "пингвин" (pingvin, penguin)|
|Spanish (NOA)||Bambogüino||From "bamboleo" (waddle) and "pingüino" (penguin)|
|Spanish (NOE)||Amortigüino||Cushion Penguin|
- The official wallpaper of World 5 from Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 released by Nintendo features the official artwork of Raphael the Raven, but shrunk and recolored to resemble a Bumpty.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 126.
- Video featuring this in action, at the 3:19:05 mark.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 8.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 17.
- 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 20.
- 「ヨッシーストーリー 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's Story Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 5.