Artwork of Cloudjin from Yoshi's Story
|First appearance||Yoshi's Story (1997)|
Cloudjin is a smoke djinn that was sent by Baby Bowser to patrol the mountains of Yoshi's Island in Yoshi's Story. As such, a Yoshi must fight him after collecting 30 fruits in Stage 3-3: Poochy & Nippy. He attacks by using large spiked balls and causes them to roll down slippery teeter-totters, and breathes fire at the Yoshi. However, three shots in the stomach by a Yoshi's egg (while he is tangible) defeat Cloudjin, allowing the Yoshi to continue. Cloudjin is one of the five bosses found in the game. His name is a combination of "cloud" and "djinn," which is the Arab word for "genie."
Profiles and statistics
- Shogakukan guide: おれ様はけむりのまじん。えらそうなくせにスケスケ。(I am the great smoke djinn. I take pride in my transparency.)
- Nintendo 64 Spieleberater: Ich dachte immer, ein Dschinn erfüllt Wünsche. Doch dieser hier ist ganz anders, er nervt! Erst pustet er uns heiße Luft ins Gesicht und dann kommen auch noch stachelige Kugeln angebrezelt. Wie soll man denn debei happier werden?  (I always thought that a genie fulfills wishes. But this one is quite different, he is annoying! First he blows hot air in our faces and then spiky balls come barreling in. How should one become happier?)
Names in other languages
|From「入道雲」(nyūdōgumo, cumulonimbus), the first one also having「さん」(-san, a Japanese suffix that can roughly mean "Mr.") attached.「にゅうどう」on its own can mean "bald-headed monster"|
- Cloudjin has a similar appearance to a Goron from the The Legend of Zelda series.
- In the Japanese version of Yoshi's Story, Cloudjin flashes red when hurt.
- 「ヨッシーストーリー 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's Story Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 7.
- Nintendo 64 Yoshi's Story Spieleberater. Page 21.
- Kazuki, Motoyama. Kodansha vol. 41 - Super Mario 64: Yoshi's Story part 1. Page 6.