- Not to be confused with Vine Slime.
A slug in Yoshi's Story
|First appearance||Yoshi's Story (1997)|
- “This slimy creep likes the dark. He hides away from fireworks.”
- —Message Block in the Jelly Pipe, Yoshi's Story
A slug is a giant colorful creature that appears in Yoshi's Story. It also has two bulging eyes. In the Jelly Pipe, a Yoshi can go into a vase and enter a room with a slug crawling up, down, and horizontally on the walls. According to the Nintendo Power guide, this one coated the Jelly Pipe with slime. Two slugs also appear in the Magma Castle, where they are both fought in the same room.
To defeat slugs, the player must throw Yoshi eggs close to their eyes such that the explosions touch their eyes and cause damage. When a slug takes damage three times, it is defeated. Once a Yoshi does defeat a slug, he gets a special prize. In the Magma Castle, any defeated slugs do not respawn; should the player run out of eggs after defeating one, they can leave the room to restock from an Egg Block nearby and return to defeat the other.
The artwork depicts slugs slightly differently from their in-game sprite in which they are depicted with red-and-yellow pupils in the artwork, but they have green pupils in-game. Slugs are one of the few mini-bosses in the game.
Profiles and statistics
- Shogakukan guide: 暗〜い穴ぐらに住みついてン十年？明るい光はごカンベン。(Has it been living in a DARK hole for decades? No bright light, please.)
- Nintendo 64 Spieleberater: Eigentlich keine richtigen Blödewichte, dennoch bewachen sie manchmal Superherzen oder Schlüssel. Die Kerle sind extrem lichtscheu, daher könnt ihr sie mit den Explosionen Eurer Eier blenden. (They are not really jerks, but sometimes they guard Special Hearts or keys. The guys are extremely sensitive to light, so you can blind them with the explosions of your eggs.)
Names in other languages
|Big Slug, with variation of the affectionate suffix「坊」(bō, guy)|
- Prima Bath. Nintendo 64 Game Secrets, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Pages 105 and 117.
- Leung, Jason, Terry Munson, and Scott Pelland. Yoshi's Story Player's Guide. Page 37. "Jelly Pipe The Yoshis stumble across a pipe that leads underground. If they decide to enter the Jelly Pipe, they’d better be ready to take on the thing that coated the entire tunnel with slime—a giant slug."
- 「ヨッシーストーリー 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's Story Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 4.
- Nintendo 64 Yoshi's Story Spieleberater. Page 21.