- Not to be confused with Sea Urchin.
A sea cactus as it appears in Yoshi's Story
|First appearance||Yoshi's Story (1997)|
Sea cacti, also described as sea urchins and spiky plants, are an aquatic species of Neuron that live in the oceans of Yoshi's Island. They appear only in Yoshi's Story, where they serve as obstacles in several levels.
Sea cacti wriggle their bodies back and forth, and they cannot be defeated by any means; if a Yoshi tries to throw an egg at one, it will harmlessly ricochet off the sea cactus. Sea cacti have spikes on the upper half of their bodies, meaning if a Yoshi collides with one, the Yoshi will take some damage. Sea cacti also can hang off ceilings, and if a Yoshi encounters one, it will wriggle faster and detach from the ceiling. This happens only in Neuron Jungle, however, as sea cacti are out of water; in levels where an upside-down sea cactus is in water, it simply stays put.
Sea cacti come in three sizes: big, medium, and small. Sea cacti also have 12 possible color combinations, ranging from orange to pink, making a total of 36 possible sea cactus varieties, making them one of the most diverse species. Additionally, if a Yoshi walks far enough for a sea cactus to go offscreen, it will change color and size when the player returns. Sea cacti are often seen in large groups. Sea cacti are able to survive outside water, but the only time they are seen on dry land is near a body of water. Sea cacti appear in only three levels: Neuron Jungle, Lots O'Jelly Fish, and Lots O'Fish.
Profiles and statistics
- Shogakukan guide: 「フニャフニャ、ブルブル、あやしい生きもの。夕マゴもはじくやっかい者。」 ("Soft, trembling, mysterious creatures. They're a nuisance that also repels eggs.")
Sea cacti wriggling in Lots O'Jelly Fish
A group of four sea cacti in Lots O'Fish
A sea cactus being breathed on by a clam
Names in other languages
|German||Smodlido||A combination of "small" and "Odlido"|
- Leung, Jason, Terry Munson, and Scott Pelland. Yoshi's Story Player's Guide. Pages 11, 90, 92, 96, 98, and 99.
- Prima Bath. Nintendo 64 Game Secrets, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Pages 112 and 113.
- Prima Bath. Ultimate Nintendo 64 Pocket Power Guide, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 90. "When you reach the raft ride, go right until you reach a platform full of spiky plants—the final heart is floating above them."
- Video of Neuron Jungle Note how the periwinkle and mint sea cacti change to blue and purple respectively.
- 「ヨッシーストーリー 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's Story Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 6.
- Nintendo 64 Yoshi's Story Spieleberater, page 20.