A Piranha Pest's artwork from Yoshi's Story
|First appearance||Yoshi's Story (1997)|
|Latest appearance||Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (2005)|
|Variant of||Hootie the Blue Fish|
- “If eaten by a Piranha Pest, Yoshi becomes tiny, and can't use eggs! Don't be sad! Climb up and gather eggs to throw at him!”
- —Message Block in Piranha Grove, Yoshi's Story
In Yoshi's Story, Piranha Pests each simply resemble the bud of a Piranha Plant with a propeller instead of a stem or stalk. They fly in rectangular patterns very similar to those of Hootie the Blue Fish in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, though they do not follow the edges of walls. They have tongues almost as long as a Yoshi's, but instead of making eggs, they attempt to swallow the Yoshi and shrink it temporarily. When the Yoshi is shrunk, no Yoshi eggs can be used. Piranha Pests can be defeated with a Yoshi egg only when the Yoshi is in normal size. As with their relatives, they are found in Piranha Grove.
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
In Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Petey Piranha can spit out Piranha Pests (referred to in the Player's Guide as "plant-pendulums"). These plants use their long tongues to swing on a block, trying to slam into Mario or Luigi. If they are hit with a hammer a few times, they will be defeated.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Shogakukan guide (shared with Piranha Plant and Piranha Sprout): 新種も増えて、ますます手ごわいパックンフラワー。飲みこまれるて、ミニヨッシーになっちゃうぞ。 (New species have been introduced to the Piranha Plant family, making them even more formidable. It will swallow you up and turn you into a mini Yoshi.)
Names in other languages
Bero Pakkun (Ko)
|「ペロペロ」is an onomatopoeia for licking sound, and「パックン」is from the Japanese name of Piranha Plant; may play off "Puropera Pakkun."|
「ベロ」is a colloquialism for "tongue",「パックン」is from the Japanese name of Piranha Plant, and「
|French||Peste Piranha||Piranha Pest|
|German||Schleck-Piranha-Pflanze||Lick Piranha Plant|
|Italian||Parassita Piranha||Piranha Parasite|
|Spanish (NOA)||plaga piraña||Plague Piranha|
|Spanish (NOE)||Plaga Piraña||Piranha Plague|
- Hoffman, Chris. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time Player's Guide. Page 53. – "When Petey uses his plant-pendulum, a block appears on the top screen with the initial of one of the bros on it. Knock the attack back with the appropriate bro's hammer, then alternate between bros, using hammer strikes to bust the pendulum."
- 「ヨッシーストーリー 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's Story Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 5.
- Super Mario-kun volume 36, page 41.