Artwork of the Naval Piranha and two buds for Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Crafted World (2019)|
|Variant of||Big Piranha Plant|
- “You fools! Do I have to teach you penalty for removing the spell? You get to come for supper... MY supper!!”
- —Naval Piranha, Tetris Attack
A Naval Piranha is an artificially enlarged Piranha Plant boss with thorned stalks and two or more buds growing from it. The original Naval Piranha debuts in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, where it starts out as a normal Piranha Plant, but is altered by Kamek's magic. Its localized name refers to both the aquatic area it is found in its original appearance as well as its large bellybutton (i.e. its navel). Later depictions of Naval Piranhas are found in other habitats and sometimes lack the bellybutton, causing the name's meaning to be lost. However, the name in the original Japanese referred instead to its enlarged size, as is the case with most of the game's bosses.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Naval Piranha is the boss of World 3 in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, and reprises the role in the Game Boy Advance version. After being magically enlarged and enhanced, it battles Blue Yoshi by spitting out Nipper Plants and charging, though it will sometimes do a mock charge. Its two buds also lazily move toward Blue Yoshi and can leap straight up to him. Blue Yoshi must throw eggs at its only weak point, which is its large and bandaged bellybutton. After being hit with enough eggs, Naval Piranha is defeated.
Exclusive to this boss is that if the player stands on the very edge of the ledge Naval Piranha is rooted to (or if the player jumps from the water and aims) without triggering the scene, the player can simply throw an egg at its "unmodified" form to defeat it in one hit. A surprised Kamek then approaches, shouts "OH, MY!!!" and flies away, and thus the player clears World 3 without fighting Naval Piranha.
The official English website for Super Mario Advance 3 misspells its name as "Naaval Piranha". In the original strategy guide for the Super NES version of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Naval Piranha is referred to as a male; however, in the guide for the Super NES Classic Edition, Naval Piranha is referred to as a female.
Yoshi's Island DS
During the introduction to Yoshi's Island DS, Naval Piranha makes an appearance alongside the other castle bosses in the game as the events of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island are recapped. Naval Piranha also has a successor in the form of Big Bungee Piranha, the boss of World 2.
Yoshi's Woolly World / Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
- “Wake up, Naval Piranha! It's supper time! The main course is Yoshi! Bon appétit!”
- —Kamek, Yoshi's Woolly World
Naval Piranha reprises the role of a boss in Yoshi's Woolly World and Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, in this case being the boss of World 4. Not including Baby Bowser, Naval Piranha is one of the only two bosses from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island that make an appearance in Yoshi's Woolly World, the other being Burt the Bashful. After being enlarged by Kamek's magic, it jumps to a pipe in the background, and calls forth its buds.
Naval Piranha will attack by appearing on a side of the arena before fully extending itself to try to eat Yoshi. This can be avoided by running all the way to the opposite side of the arena or throwing an egg into its mouth. Bomb Guys will then throw bombs at the foreground; which Yoshi must swallow and spit out at Naval Piranha's open mouth (when it tries to eat Yoshi), causing it to swallow the bomb and reveal its weak spot: its belly button. Yoshi must ground-pound it to deal damage. After taking damage, Naval Piranha will respond by covering the arena in thorny vines and then slowly sliding them across, which must be jumped over. These vines can be destroyed with the Watermelon seeds from the All-you-can-eat Watermelon! badge.
In its second phase, the Bomb Guys will throw four bombs, at which point the buds will appear and slam down on the entire arena except for right in front of Naval Pirahna's center pipe, where Yoshi must maneuver towards. Naval Piranha will then try to eat Yoshi from below, where again a bomb must be thrown in its mouth to reveal its weak point. After being damaged a second time, Naval Piranha will again use the thorny vine attack, except now the vines will move up and down as they slide across the arena, forcing Yoshi to weave through the vines either by running under or jumping over them. After several seconds of this, the vines will stop in place before quickly sliding across the arena in the opposite direction for a few seconds, which must be precisely jumped over.
In its third phase, six Bomb Guys will throw bombs, after which a bud will appear, slam down on one side of the arena, and then sweep across the arena twice. At this point, a second bud will appear on the opposite side of the arena, and then sweep across twice. These buds must be jumped over. Naval Piranha will again try to eat Yoshi, this time from above. After a bomb is thrown in its mouth and its naval is ground-pounded for the third time, Naval Piranha will be defeated.
Similar to Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island; Yoshi can throw a yarn ball at the sleeping Piranha Plant before triggering Kamek's appearance. This causes a slightly different scene, but Naval Piranha cannot be skipped and must be fought this time in order to progress to World 5.
Naval Piranha reappears in level 4-S, where it chases Yoshi through an auto-scrolling level. Yoshi can throw a yarn ball at Naval Piranha to make it disappear temporarily, though this does not stop the auto-scrolling and it reappears after a few seconds. It is unknown whether this is the same Naval Piranha as the one fought in the boss level, as it has red vines as opposed to the boss' green vines. If it is able to gobble up the Yoshi while he is moving through the level, he will be instantly defeated.
Naval Piranha also reappears in the Boss Tent. It is fought the same way; however, it attacks faster making it harder to hit it.
The Lava Piranha from Paper Mario is designed to resemble Naval Piranha, though its name in the Japanese script indicates it is simply an abnormally designed Fire Piranha Plant, and is not indicated to be enlarged from a previous form.
Mario Party Advance
A Naval Piranha makes a reappearance in Mario Party Advance. At the Bowser Lab, choosing to see the "scary monster" that he built unveils his Naval Piranha. Afterward, Bowser has the player face it in the minigame Koopa Kurl. After winning, the player gets to keep the minigame. The end of game credits say it now lives and thrives in the desert.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Profiles and statistics
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Official Nintendo Player's Guide: That's not an alligator living in the sewers of the castle at the end of World 3, but a dino-eating plant. Judging by how slow he moves, though, Naval Piranha hasn't encountered many snacks as shrewd as Yoshi. Have you heard of the Achilles heel? Well, Yoshi knows that this ferocious foliage has an Achilles Adam's apple!
- Super Power Club Cards bio:
- Description: Ravenous water plant. Will chow down on anything in sight but prefers a diet of dinos.
- Favorite Movie: Little Shop of Horrors
- How to Beat Him: Ricochet your eggs off the wall. They'll skip over the water and whack Naval's stem. When he charges, jump over him. Wait until the pods he shoots hatch, then eat the eggs they produce.
- Shogakukan guide: 下水に住むパックンフラワーの親玉。花のくせに、出ベソがコンプレックスという変わり者。 (The head of the Piranha Plant family that lives in the sewers. He is a flower with a complex about his protruding belly button.)
- In-game Character profile
I'm Naval Piranha Plant.
Hey Yoshi! Ready to give in yet? Do you still dream of defeating me? Har-har! Go see yer momma, you little green lizard. Go home and cry, baby.
- Japanese language selected
この あたいに かなうと おもうのかい？
さっさと うちに かえって ママの おっぱいでも⋯
おっと とかげにゃ おっぱいは なかったわねぇ
(I'm Naval Piranha.♥)
(Hey, Yoshi. Do you think you can compete with me? Go on home, have some of Mama's milk... Oops, I didn't find any milk in the barn.)
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 下水に住むパックンフラワーの親玉で、ワールド3-8のボス。花のくせにデべソがコンプレックスらしい。タマゴをかべに反射させ、へソに3回当てよう。
(The boss of World 3-8, the master of the Piranha Plants that lives in the sewers. He seems to have a complex about being a flower with a fat belly. Reflect the egg on the wall and hit the belly button three times.)
Kamek looking shocked at what happened to Naval Piranha
Tetris Attack (Game Boy)
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 wallpaper
Names in other languages
|Chinese||大食人花 (Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3)
大吞食花 (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
|French||Ultra Piranha||Ultra Piranha|
|German||Audrey||Reference to the plant in The Little Shop of Horrors|
|Italian||Piranha Ombelico||Navel Piranha (i.e. "Bellybutton Piranha")|
|Spanish||Piraña Ombligona||Navel Piranha (i.e. "Bellybutton Piranha")|
|Spanish (NOA)||Piraña Fluvial (Yoshi's Wolly World, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)||Fluvial Piranha|
|Spanish (NOE)||Piraña Naval (Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)||Naval Piranha|
- The normal Piranha Plants in Yoshi's Story, the Spiny Piranha Plants from Super Mario Galaxy, and the Piranha Creepers from Super Mario 3D World all somewhat resemble Naval Piranhas due to their large size and thorned stems.
- Super Mario Advance 3 website, Web Archive
- "That's not an alligator living in the sewers of the castle at the end of World 3, but a dino-eating plant. Judging by how slow he moves, though, Naval Piranha hasn't encountered many snacks as shrewd as Yoshi. Have you heard of the Achilles heel? Well, Yoshi knows that this ferocious foliage has an Achilles Adam's apple!" - The Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide, page 17.
- "Yoshi could fight this battle as it was intended, or, if quick enough, can end the confrontation with a single Egg before it even starts! If the Piranha Plant takes damage from off-screen before Kamek arrives, he never has the chance to use his magic on her!" - Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics eGuide, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island World 2[sic] tab.
- Super Power Club Cards Yoshi's Island
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 9.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 20.
|Pals||Yoshi • Lakitu • Bumpty* • Poochy • Flying Wiggler • Froggy • Gargantua Blargg • Lunge Fish • Raphael The Raven|
|Rivals||Hookbill The Koopa • Naval Piranha • Kamek • Bowser|
|Other characters||Mr. Time* • Little Yoshi • Fly Guy • Goonie • Dr. Freezegood • Grinder • Eggo-Dil • Clawdaddy • Flamer Guy • Flopsy Fish • Shy-Guy • Toady|
|Gameplay||Panel • Garbage block • Shock Panel • Shock Block|
|Miscellaneous||Gallery • Media • Quotes • Staff|
|* Exclusive to the SNES version.|