|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Crafted World (2019)|
|Variant of||Shy Guy|
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Fat Guys make their first appearances in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island level Lakitu's Wall, and are uncommon enemies throughout the rest of the game. They come in two colors: red (which initially walk but will run if Yoshi stands on them) and green (which are always running). Fat Guys simply walk or run back and forth continuously, changing direction when they encounter a wall or a margin, unlike regular Shy-Guys which walk around and may stop and turn back on their own will. They are able to damage Yoshi if they bump into him, but Yoshi can attack them by eating and ingesting them. If spat back, they will resume their behavior.
When Yoshi has three Giant Eggs at his disposal, all of the Fat Guys will disappear until Yoshi uses at least one of the Giant Eggs.
Yoshi's Island DS
Fat Guys return in Yoshi's Island DS, where they behave similarly to their first appearance.
Yoshi's Crafted World
In Yoshi's Crafted World, red Fat Guys appear in Poochy's Sweet Run and Poochy's Magma Run and can be seen with different behaviors. Most simply walk back and forth on the ground and will start running after being jumped on, much like in their original appearance. They can be defeated by throwing an egg at them, charging into them with Poochy, eating and turning them into eggs, or Ground Pounding them. Ingesting a Fat Guy will fill Yoshi's egg stash instead of granting one Giant Egg like in past games.
Some Fat Guys stand in the background, pushing rectangular cutouts in Yoshi's way and rising them back up after a short time. Yoshi can stand on these objects while they are down as on a regular platform, and even ride them upward as the Fat Guys pull them back upright. In some cases, Fat Guys push these objects onto thin stilts and create a platform over a dangerous pit.
- Main article: Gourmet Guy
Yoshi's Island series
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 太っちょヘイホーは、タマゴになってもデカい！そこらにぶつけると、近くの敵を全部スターに変える。 (A fat Shy-Guy that is huge, even as an egg! If you throw it at something, it turns all the nearby enemies into stars.)
- Player's Guide: Eat a Fat Guy to make a huge egg that turns every on-screen enemy into a star.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 太っちょヘイホーはタマゴになってもデカい！このタマゴを投げれば近くの敵が全部スターになる。 (A fat Shy-Guy that is huge even as an egg! Throw this egg and all nearby enemies become stars.)
Names in other languages
|Portmanteau of「デブ」(debu, fat) and「ヘイホー」(Heihō, Shy Guy)|
|Italian||Tipo Grasso||Fat Guy|
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 126.
- Nintendo (November 1, 2018). Yoshi’s Crafted World - Gameplay - Nintendo Treehouse: Live. YouTube. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook). Page 5.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook). Page 18.