Art of a Harry Hedgehog from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's New Island (2014)|
Harry Hedgehogs are enemies in the Yoshi's Island series. They first appear in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and return in its remake Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 and the series' third installment, Yoshi's New Island. In all three appearances, Harry Hedgehogs continuously and quickly move between two sides of a platform. If a Yoshi gets too close to one, the Harry Hedgehog stops in its tracks briefly and swells up, its spines sticking out. Harry Hedgehogs cannot be eaten while in their defensive position, but they can be defeated using a fire watermelon, and they are otherwise edible and vulnerable to any attacks in their normal state.
Most games generally feature Harry Hedgehogs in only one level named after them. In Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Harry Hedgehogs only appear in The Cave Of Harry Hedgehog, which is named after Harry Hedgehogs and prominently features them. In Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Harry Hedgehogs were added in another level, Go! Go! Morphing! In Yoshi's New Island, Harry Hedgehogs similarly only appear in a single level of their own, Harry Hedgehog's Labyrinth.
Harry Hedgehogs are possibly a reference to Sonic, since they are blue hedgehogs that move very fast. During the 16-bit era, which is when Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island was first released, Sonic the Hedgehog series producer Sega often mocked the works of Nintendo, their main business rival at the time. The Harry Hedgehog may be a retaliation to these mockeries. However, in its Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island artwork and Yoshi's New Island in-game depiction, Harry Hedgehogs have purple spines.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 近づくと、ハリを出してからだを大きくするハリネズミ。小さいうちにかたづけたい。(A hedgehog whose needles will emerge and make its body appear larger when approached. It is best to deal with it while it is small.)
- Player's Guide: Strictly a cave-dweller, this small creature puffs up his spiny back when strange dinosaurs approach.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 近づくと、ハリを出して体を大きく見せる。大きくなっているときは、タマゴで倒すことも飲みこむこともできないので、小さいうちにかたづけたい。(When approached, their needles will emerge and make their body appear larger. When they are large, they cannot be knocked down with an egg or swallowed, so it is best to deal with them while they are small.)
Yoshi's New Island
- Shogakukan guide: 地面をすばやく移動し、ヨッシーが近くにいると2秒ほど止まって巨大化。トゲがあるので踏みつけやヒップドロップでは攻擊できないが、通常時は食べられる。(It moves quickly on the ground, and when Yoshi is nearby, it stops for about 2 seconds and becomes huge. Because of its spines, it cannot be attacked by stomping or Hip Dropping, but it can be eaten under normal circumstances.)
Names in other languages
ハリネズミ (Super Mario: Yossy Island, in-game)
|German||Igipop||Pun on "igel" (hedgehog) and "Iggy Pop"|
|Italian||Attila il Porcospino||Attila the Hedgehog|
|Spanish||Erizo Harry||Harry Hedgehog|
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 7.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 127.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 16.
- 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 20.
- Harry Hedgehog's Labyrinth, Yoshi's New Island