Spirit artwork of Kamek's Toadies from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (spirit cameo) (2018)|
- “Toadies... Get that Yoshi!!!”
- —Kamek, Tetris Attack
Kamek's Toadies (or Kamek's toadies), also known simply as the Toadies, are a group of four that appear as followers of Kamek the Magikoopa. They are the most prominent Toadies in any game they appear, to the point of standard Toadies being given their attributes in Yoshi's Story, where Kamek is absent. The group has not been seen to directly attack and, save for in Yoshi Touch & Go's Time Attack mode, cannot be attacked themselves.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
In Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Kamek's Toadies appear to kidnap and carry Baby Mario away if Yoshi allows him to float free for too long. They can appear virtually anywhere if the timer depletes completely, including Froggy's stomach. In the final boss battle, it is possible for Yoshi to shoot down Kamek's Toadies with eggs if they are thrown directly upward. One of Kamek's Toadies also appears on a card in the mini-game Scratch and Match, which is featured as a bonus challenge.
Yoshi Touch & Go
In Yoshi Touch & Go, Yoshi must stop Kamek's Toadies from stealing Baby Luigi in Time Attack mode by throwing eggs at them. The four of Kamek's Toadies (each of which has two hit points, giving the group a total of eight) carry Baby Luigi at the top of the screen, shielded by a group of many purple Toadies that can each absorb one hit. If Yoshi manages to break through the purple Toadies and defeat Kamek's Toadies before the time runs out, he can save Baby Luigi.
Yoshi's Island DS
Kamek's Toadies, referred to as Magikoopas in the Player's Guide, reprise their role in the direct sequel to Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island DS. Serving Kamek, who has traveled back in time, the Toadies kidnap babies from all over the Mushroom Kingdom, including Baby Mario and Baby Peach. However, the latter two's captors are attacked by the Stork, who saves them from being kidnapped. At the end of the game, they carry the unconscious Bowser away. Additionally, their role in Scratch and Match returns.
Yoshi's New Island
Kamek's Toadies appear in Yoshi's New Island, with exactly the same role and behavior as their first appearance.
Kamek's Toadies once more appear in the Club Nintendo comic "Mario in Mariozilla." They help Kamek invade Mario's garden, but when his plan to shrink Mario fails, they flee. The Toadies are later seen during a fight between Mario and Kamek, supporting the Magikoopa. After Kamek and Mario get shrunk by the abilities of the Magikoopa's broom, some Toadies work together with Dr. Light and Princess Toadstool in order to transform their master back.
In this comic, the Toadies look different from their appearance in the games: their actual eyes and pupils are visible behind their glasses, rather than just the spiral form, their characteristic teeth are missing, they wear armor with round short sleeves instead of their usual robes and they possess fingers. The number of Toadies present seemingly fluctuates between panels, with most having four or less but one having seven.
In WarioWare Gold, Kamek's Toadies appear in the Yoshi's Island microgame if Yoshi fails to catch Baby Mario before time runs out.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the Toadies make an appearance as a spirit.
Profiles and statistics
Yoshi's Island series
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Player's Guide: Always waiting just overhead, Kamek's Toadies live to spirit Baby Mario back to the evil Magikoopa.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: カメックの手下。スターのおまもりがなくなると、集団で赤ちゃんをさらいに来る。画面外に連れ去られる前に取りもどせばセーフだ。(Kamek's minions. When the Countdown Timer runs out, they come in a group to kidnap the baby. If you can get him back before he is taken off the screen, he will be safe.)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit
|Name||Image||Game||Type||Class||Effect||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|Toadies||Yoshi Series||Support (1)||Advanced||Toss & Meteor||Spirit Board||Squirtle ×4||
||Yoshi's Island||Flower Field|
Kamek with four Toadies in Tetris Attack
Super Mario-kun (vol. 14)
Names in other languages
Kamekku no Teshita
Kǎměikè de Shǒuxià
- During development of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Kamek's Toadies were originally designed as propeller-wearing Snifits.
- In Tetris Attack, though they solely appear as part of the background image for Kamek's window, Kamek does announce them when he appears in the Cave of Wickedness.
- Unused text for Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door reveals an enemy called "Kamek apprentice," with "Kamek" meaning "Magikoopa." While no associated graphics have been found, this could means that the Toadies were intended to be in the game at some point in development.
- ^ a b Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 127.
- ^ Williams, Drew. Yoshi's Island DS Player's Guide. Page 7. "If your star points tick down to 0, the Magikoopas will carry your baby away."
- ^ a b 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 15.
- ^ Super Mario: Yossy Island Japanese instruction booklet, pgs. 10 & 15
- ^ iQue. 《耀西岛》《密特罗德-融合》3月2日携手上市！ Retrieved February 29, 2020.
- ^ Salad Plain Zone (July 24, 2020). Twitter post featuring screenshots from a Yoshi's Island prototype. Twitter. Retrieved July 24, 2020.
|Characters||Bowser's cousin • Giant Kamek • Jerry • Kamek (Green, Red, White) • Kamek Krew • Kamek's Toadies • Kamella • Kammy Koopa • Magikoopa Masters • Paper Kamek • Papercraft Kamek • Psycho Kamek • Wizenheimer|
|Species||Big Magikoopa • Dark Magikoopa • Gray Magikoopa • Green Magikoopa • Magifoofa • Magikoopa • Purple Magikoopa • Red Magikoopa • Toady • White Magikoopa • Yellow Magikoopa|
|Yoshi Touch & Go|
|Characters||Baby Luigi • Baby Mario • Kamek • Stork • Yoshis|
|Items||Blue Coin • Bubble • Fruit (Apple • Banana • Grape • Melon • Watermelon) • Red Coin • Yellow Coin • Yoshi's Egg|
|Enemies||Brier • Cheep Cheep • Cloud Drop • Fang • Fly Guy • Goonie • Gusty • Kamek's Toadies • Lakitu • Marucchi • Monty Mole • Needle • Piranha Plant • Propeller Mūcho • Shy Guy • Spiny Cheep-Cheep • Tap-Tap • Toady • Ukiki • Whirly Fly Guy • Wild Ptooie Piranha|
|Other||Gallery • Media • Staff|