- “If Baby Mario falls off Yoshi's back, the Countdown Timer will begin. When it reaches 0, Kamek's toadies will swoop in and kidnap Baby Mario!”
- —In-game text, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
The Countdown Timer (or just the timer), also known as the counter, is a feature in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (and its reissue), Yoshi's Island DS, and Yoshi's New Island. This feature is first explained in the level Welcome To Yoshi's Island. If a Yoshi takes damage, Baby Mario (or any other baby in Yoshi's Island DS) flies away in a bubble and starts crying, and the timer begins, indicating how long star power can protect him. The timer turns from white to red when it falls below ten (in Yoshi's Island DS, the timer turns yellow below ten seconds and red in the last three seconds). If the Countdown Timer reaches zero, a few Toadies come and steal Baby Mario (or whichever baby is riding on the Yoshi's back in Yoshi's Island DS), and the player loses a life.
The Countdown Timer stops when the Yoshi retrieves the baby, and the timer slowly restores to ten seconds if it is nine or less. Stars add one more second to the timer, and Checkpoint Rings add ten more seconds, up to 30. If the player has reached the maximum, any extra stars released from Winged Clouds and tulips are replaced by coins. The Countdown Timer also plays a part in determining the score for completing a level, with a point awarded for each second left on the timer.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- European instruction booklet (English): If you get hit by an enemy and take damage, Baby Mario will fall off of Yoshi's back. When this happens, the power of the stars will protect Baby Mario for a short while. A timer appears to show just how long this protection lasts. If the counter reaches zero, Baby Mario will be swept away by Kamek's toadies. Try to get Baby Mario back on Yoshi's back before time runs out!
Names in other languages
|Japanese||スターのおまもり / スターのお守り
Sutā no Omamori
|Italian||Cronometro / Il cronometro delle stelle||Timer / Star Timer|
- Yoshi's New Island digital instruction manual, Page 9 / 17 Playing the Game.
- Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 European instruction booklet. Page 9.
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Japanese instruction booklet, page 11.
- 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 20.