Artwork of an Army from Donkey Kong Country
|First appearance||Donkey Kong Country (1994)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Country (GBA) (2003)|
- “Army will curl into an armored ball to protect himself from your attacks.”
- —Donkey Kong Country manual, page 29
Donkey Kong Country
Armies first appear in Donkey Kong Country; they attack by rolling into a ball and careening toward the Kongs. Donkey Kong can defeat an Army by jumping on it once, regardless if the enemy is inside its shell or not. Diddy Kong must jump on an Army twice to defeat it, as when he jumps on a curled up Army, Diddy forces it to its normal position. While an Army is not curled up, Diddy can jump on it another time to defeat it.
Armies appear in five normal levels:
Donkey Kong Land
Armies reappear in Donkey Kong Land. They act the same as in Donkey Kong Country and appear in slightly more levels:
- Tyre Trail
- Riggin' Rumble
- Tricky Temple
- Swirlwind Storm
- Pot Hole Panic
- Balloon Barrage
- Kong Krazy
- Button Barrel Blast
Appearances in other media
An Army, purple in color, appears in the Club Nintendo comic "Donkey Kong Country". It is the first enemy in this comic to attack Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. Diddy defeats it by simply jumping on it. Like every enemy in the comic, the Army is able to speak.
An individual Army appears as an antagonist in the Donkey Kong Country novel. While the Kongs are exploring the abandoned mines, Army and Slippa ambush the group. Donkey Kong throws a barrel at Army and the force of the impact knocks him down the tunnel.
Artwork used for a puzzle based on Donkey Kong Country
Names in other languages
- In the original Donkey Kong Country, Army's defeat sound is a higher-pitched version of that of Donkey Kong's.
- An unused armadillo model exists within the Donkey Kong 64 kiosk demo, suggesting that Army or a different enemy would have appeared in the game.
- An Army appears near the end of the trailer in Donkey Kong Racing.
- Donkey Kong Country Nintendo Player's Guide, page 16.