Animal tokens (also parsed as Animal Tokens), also known as Golden Tokens, Golden Statues, Golden Medallions, and statues, are large collectible golden figures of all four mountable Animal Friends in Donkey Kong Country. The specific ones include the Rambi Token (or Rambi Medallion), the Expresso Token (also called the Golden Expresso Token or Golden Expresso Animal Token), the Enguarde Token, and the Winky Token (or Winky Medallion).
Animal tokens most often appear in hard-to-reach places, but they are sometimes rewarded if Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong complete a Bonus Level. When the Kongs collect an animal token, it floats to the top of the screen, makes a small noise, and goes offscreen. Additional tokens of the same Animal Friend are also briefly displayed, if the Kongs have any. When the Kongs collect three tokens of the same Animal Friend, they are warped to a bonus Token Area (also named Token Bonus Area, Animal Bonus Level, or bonus level), where the player controls the corresponding Animal Friend.
All four secret areas have a timer set to 99, and the countdown speed varies between areas. The Animal Friend's objective is to collect as many mini Animal Tokens within the time limit. When the timer runs out, the mini Animal Tokens are counted down, with every 100 of them being exchanged for an extra life. The additional tokens are lost.
A big Animal Token of the Animal Friend is hidden in its secret area. This token doubles the player's count of mini Animal Tokens.
Names in other languages
|Italian||Simbolo di animale||Animal symbol|
|Spanish||Ficha de animal||Animal token|
|Spanish (NOA)||Token animal||Animal token|
- Donkey Kong Country instruction booklet, page 19.
- Donkey Kong Jungle Action Special, page 34.
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Page 23.
- Nintendo Power Issue 68, page 56.
- Nintendo Power Issue 66, pages 11 and 15.
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) issue 26 (NMS Special), pages 10 and 11.
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Page 111.
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Pages 41, 57.
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Pages 35, 41, 55.
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Pages 64, 65, 99.
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Pages 31, 70.
- Nintendo Power Volume 66, page 10.
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Pages 24-26.
- Hodgson, David S. J. Donkey Kong Country Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 7.
- Donkey Kong Contry Italian instruction booklet, page 19.
- Donkey Kong Contry Spanish instruction booklet, page 19.
- Club Nintendo (Chile) La Jungla de Donkey Kong: Edición Especial, page 45.