- This article is about the green-colored balloons from the Donkey Kong Country games. For the green-colored balloons from Diddy Kong Racing and Diddy Kong Racing DS, see Weapon Balloon.
|Original: Grants two extra lives.|
New: "Automatically saves you from falling to your doom up to three times! (But not all the time.)"
|First appearance||Donkey Kong Country (1994)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo Switch) (2018)|
- “Pitfalls got ya down? Way down? This balloon will really lift your spirits!”
- —Funky Kong, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
A Green Balloon is an item in the Donkey Kong Country series. It is identical to a Red Balloon, except, as its name indicates, it is colored green. In Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, it serves as a type of Extra Life Balloon and is also known as a 2-Up Balloon as it grants two extra lives.
A Green Balloon is retooled with a different purpose in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (and its Nintendo Switch port), where it can be obtained at Cranky Kong's Shop for three Banana Coins or at Funky's Fly 'n' Buy for seven Banana Coins, respectively. If Donkey Kong (or Funky Kong in the Nintendo Switch version of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze) equips a Green Balloon, it brings him back to the stage after he falls into a bottomless pit. However, Green Balloons cannot be used in stages that require Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong to keep moving, or when falling into pits is impossible (such as when riding a Mine Cart or a Rocket Barrel). Green Balloons cannot be used during multiplayer.
Names in other languages
- "Extra Life Balloons come in three great flavors. Red Balloons give you one extra life, Green Balloons give you two and the elusive Blue Balloons give you three extra lives!" – Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! Player's Guide, page 15.
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Pages 28. "Get Four Free Lives! Go get Diddy out of the first DK Barrel, select him, and then come back to the Treehouse door. Using Super Jumps, Diddy can cartwheel and jump his way along the treetops through the first section of this stage. Two red 1-Up Balloons will appear and then a green 2-Up Balloon will present itself. Grab ’em all!"