|Level code||7 - 3|
|Game||Donkey Kong Country 3 (Game Boy Advance)|
|Music track||Treetop Tumble|
|<< Directory of levels >>|
Sunken Spruce is the third level of Pacifica and the thirty-third overall level in the Game Boy Advance remake of Donkey Kong Country 3. It takes place within some large, hollow trees submerged underwater. For most of the level, Dixie and Kiddy must swim to the bottom of a large, hollow tree while avoiding the Lurchins along their path. Kocos, Bounty Basses, and Bazzas are some other aquatic enemies that they encounter. Near the end, the Kongs must continue going up the trees on land, where they encounter some Buzzes and Minkeys. As the Kongs continue down underwater, the background depicts a sunken city resembling Atlantis.
When the level begins, the Kongs find themselves on a tree branch above the bright water. Walking into the tree trunk to the left, they head down the area on a short rope and find the exit of the trunk. Once out if the tree, the apes find themselves slightly in the water. If they walk off of the branch, they fall into the lake, meeting a few Lurchins. Swimming below the last exit, they find a round opening into the first tree, which leads them to a completely sunken area of the tree. Slowing and carefully hovering downwards in the trunk, they pass some Kocos and soon find another opening to the right. If they go through this opening, they enter an area outside of the tree, full of many more Lurchins, as well as the letter K. After swimming through another passage nearby, the heroes make their way into a different tree, where they pass a few Bounty Basses. At the bottom of the area, they can see a pathway into the neighboring tree. They must take this route and enter the spruce, heading downwards. Once they pass the many Lurchins scattered all around the area, they make their way out of the tree and swim in a U shape around a short branch. After they pass through the nearest opening, they arrive in an area full of Bazzas, crossing between the two sides of the tree. The Kongs have to exit the tree at its lowest point and travel through a small space outside of the level's two trees. Entering the second tree, the group dodge some rapidly moving Lurchins and find the way between a third tree through a small opening. They must swim diagonally in this space, following a small trail of bananas, to enter the next tree, where they find the Star Barrel.
About halfway into the level, the monkeys begin to travel upwards through the level. After exiting the trunk of the third tree, they swim through a small area occupied by two Lurchins. On the other end of this area, they find a small opening, leading into the fourth three. Heading north in this tree, they pass a few schools of Bazzas until they reach the top part of the area. At this point, the group need to leave the tree by using a small opening, however, a school of Bazzas infest much of the space inside of the hole. Sneaking between two of the Bazzas, they should be able to get through and cross back into the third tree. In this tree, the apes follow a banana trail around the bend and exit the tree to find another area with some Lurchins. Swimming between the two Lurchins takes them inside of the fourth tree again, where they swim upwards and avoid Kocos and Bounty Basses. After going through the tree's next exit, Dixie Kong and Kiddy Kong head downwards and maneuver around some more Lurchins until they arrive back in the third tree. In this tree, they dodge some Kocos and find another opening at the bottom of the trunk. Going through the passage, they find themselves in the area between two trees. If they float between two Kocos there, they notice an upwards path through the second tree. There, they must dodge a few more underwater enemies and come up to the letter N. Once the item is obtained, they must swim to the surface of the water, where they climb up a rope. At the top of the tightrope, the heroes find a pathway between two trees. Inside the neighboring tree, they spot another opening, leading into a small area infested with two green Buzzes flying in a circle. If they manage to get out of this area and enter the next tree, they need to climb up another rope to access a higher part of the level. In this space, they find the letter G high in the air, as well as the way outside of the tree. There, the monkeys stand on two strong branches near a flagpole. Raising the pole's flag ends the level.
Items and objects
- K: After swimming down the trunk with green Kocos, the "K" is in the area in between the two trees.
- O: In the upper left corner of an area with six Lurchin.
- N: Obtained while swimming up a tree trunk near some Koco.
- G: To the right of a Minky near the end of the level. The Kongs must jump from a rope to reach it.
At the start of the level, there is a Steel Barrel next to the Kongs. They must carry it through the nearest tree trunk and go to a branch stretching into the water. The Koin is standing on the branch, and to defeat him, the Kongs must stand on his shield and throw the Steel Barrel at the tree on the left so that it bounces off and rolls into Koin. By doing so, the Kongs are rewarded the DK Coin.
Sunken Spruce has two Bonus Levels, listed by type:
- Collect 70 Stars!: After the Star Barrel, the Kongs enter an area in the fourth tree with a school of Bazzas swimming through a small opening. If the Kongs swim between the Bazzas in the opening, they enter the third tree. The Kongs must continue swimming up the tree, ignoring a trail of bananas leading out. They must swim up past three green Kocos which rapidly move back and forth to enter the Bonus Barrel. In the Bonus Level, the Kongs have 25 seconds to collect 75 stars within a tree trunk and an open area to the right. When the Kongs collect every star, the Bonus Coin appears at the bottom of the open area.
- Find the Coin!: Some time after the letter N, the Kongs go back on land. They must walk into another tree and climb down a vertical rope into the water. The Kongs must swim underwater and then into a hole to the left that goes into an area between two trees. The Kongs can swim above to enter the second Bonus Barrel. In the Bonus Level, the Kongs have 20 seconds to get the Bonus Coin at the bottom of a tree. Dixie and Kiddy start in an open area, and as they go up, the Kongs must avoid numerous Bazzas that swim in the path. They must then go into the opening of a tree and swim down, still avoiding the Bazzas in their path, and collect the Bonus Coin at the bottom.
Names in other languages
|French||Epicéa planqué||Stashed Spruce|
|German||Versunkene Fichte||Sunken Spruce|
|Italian||Abeti Inabissati||Sunken Firs|
|Spanish||Pulcritud Hundida||Sunken Neatness|