Level Flags, also known as End of Level Flags, are objects that appear at the ends of all levels in Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! and Donkey Kong Land III. They are the successor to the End of Level Targets from Donkey Kong Country 2. Every Level Flag is connected to a flagpole, and it can be pulled upward from a rope attached to it. Dixie and Kiddy can pull a Level Flag to end the level and return to the map screen.
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
In Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, every incomplete level is marked by a black Krem Flag on the map screen. The Kongs can supersede it by completing a level and activating its Level Flag. This involves jumping and pulling at its rope, which ascends its white flag into the air. As it is raised, the flag changes color based on which Kong pulled it: either pink for Dixie or blue for Kiddy. The flag also flies if the Kongs obtain every Bonus Coin in the level. Following this, the Level Flag on the map screen appears as it did while being raised, and it also has a gold pennant if the Kongs defeat that level's Koin for its DK Coin. The Level Flag artwork shows the "DK" emblem on the pennant. The status of each Level Flag allows for the player to keep track of which levels were either partially or entirely completed. Once the level is completed, the color of the flag cannot be changed by replaying and completing it with the alternate Kong.
If the player is using the "COLOR" cheat code, the flag color is instead purple for Dixie and green for Kiddy.
In the Game Boy Advance version, a Level Flag's flag can now change color when its level is completed again with a different Kong.
Donkey Kong Land III
In Donkey Kong Land III, the End of Level Flag is raised automatically if either Dixie or Kiddy walks into it. Because of the Game Boy's limited color palette, the raised End of Level Flag is not color-coded based on which Kong finished the level. Unlike before, End of Level Flags also appear at the end of each underwater level.
|Krem Flag||A black flag with a white K in the middle means the level is not completed.|
|Partially raised||The level is completed, but not every Bonus Coin was collected. Its color is based on the clothes of the Kong who completed the level. The "COLOR" cheat is used for the alternative colors.|
|Fully raised||The level is completed, and every Bonus Coin was collected. Its color is based on the clothes of the Kong who completed the level. The "COLOR" cheat is used for the alternative colors.|
|Golden pennant||An additional golden pennant appears on the world map if the player collects the DK Coin of that level. It appears after the level is completed.|
Names in other languages
Bandiera di "termine del livello"
Bandiera di fine livello
"Level ending" flag
End of level flag
- Super Mario 3D World uses a similar method of displaying the levels on the map screen. An uncompleted level displays a black flag with a white symbol. After the player completes the level, the flag gains the character's color and emblem. The flag turns golden if the player hits its top. Finally, a green star appears at the top of the flagpole if all three Green Stars of the level are collected.
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! SNES instruction booklet, page 23
- Donkey Kong Country 3 GBA instruction booklet, page 27
- Donkey Kong Land III instruction booklet, page 16
- Super Donkey Kong 3: Nazo no Kremis-tō instruction booklet, page 29
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! Spanish-Italian booklet, pag. 51
- Donkey Kong Land III Spanish-Italian manual, pag. 46
- Donkey Kong Country 3, European manual, pag. 120