|Donkey Kong Land III
|<< Directory of levels >>
Surface Tension is the sixteenth level in Donkey Kong Land III and the fourth level of Blackforest Plateau. It takes place at a riverbank where Dixie Kong and Kiddy Kong have to make their way past several enemies, both on land an in water, and Surface Tension even has the option of taking a land or sea route, which eventually conforms into a land route in the last stretch of the level. This level's name is a pun of a property of the surface of water.
If Kiddy and Dixie head left after beginning the level, they will meet two Buzzes and a Krimp and have access to a Bonus Barrel. To the right is a straight pathway into a river of water. Crossing the river, the apes clamber down a rigid passageway, grabbing the letter K and dodging several enemies. Soon, they make their way into another pool of water and swim across to get back on another area of land. Again, they run across a rather flat pathway while dodging enemies. They eventually move into the letter O and cross a gap to find some ledges. Dropping down on these ledges, they soon find the next pool of water. Because the river at this point is not to large, the apes are able to jump across it and hit the nearby Star Barrel.
About halfway through the level, the road becomes filled with gaps of water. The Kongs need to cross these gaps while avoiding some Buzzes and then move up a slanted pathway. At the top of this pathway, the heroes pass a few more Buzzes to find a barrel. The barrel blasts them across another abyss and to the letter N. Farther on, Dixie and Kiddy travel down a series of slanted pathways, avoiding enemies such as Krimps and Buzzes. Shortly after collecting the letter G, they can find a flagpole. If they touch the flagpole, they are taken to the next level.
The following enemies appear in the following quantities:
Bounty Bass (10)
Items and objects
The following items and objects appear in the following quantities:
- K: To the right of the first Bristles
- O: Above a gap next to three Krumples
- N: Obtained after using a Barrel Cannon near the Koin
- G: To the right of a Buzz near the end of the level
After the letter N, the Kongs can enter a Barrel Cannon. It blasts them to a platform with a Steel Barrel on it. If the Kongs carry this barrel down the ledge to the left, they should find a Koin with the DK Coin. It can be defeated by standing on its shield, then throwing the Steel Barrel into the nearest wall. The barrel should bounce back and hit the Koin, who then releases its DK Coin.
Surface Tension has two Bonus Levels, listed by type:
- Bash the Baddies!: After starting the level, Dixie or Kiddy should head to the left. If they sneak under two Buzzes without hitting the nearby Krimp, they can find a Bonus Barrel. It fires them into a Bonus Level where they need to bounce off of a few Niknaks to cross a pool of water. If they make it to the end of the area in less than fifteen seconds after defeating every enemy, they can find a Bonus Coin.
- Find the Token!: About halfway into the level, the heroes find the letter O over a small gap. If they drop into the area right behind the letter, they land in a hidden Bonus Barrel. Once it blasts them into the special stage, they need to run across a long pathway, avoiding Buzzes. After they reach the end of that area, they fall into a river and swim west through a wide trench. If they make it to the end of this trench undamaged in less than twenty-five seconds, they earn another Bonus Coin.
Names in other languages
Hyōmen no Doki Doki