- This article is about the special coins from Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. For the common Gold Coins of multiple games, see Coin.
The 6 Golden Coins, or simply the Golden Coins or 6 Coins, are six titular artifacts of Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. All of them are needed to open the gate to Mario's castle in Mario Land. Each coin represents a different zone of the land: the Tree Zone, the Space Zone, the Macro Zone, the Pumpkin Zone, the Mario Zone, and the Turtle Zone. After Mario returns from his battles with Tatanga in Sarasaland, Mario discovers his castle occupied by Wario. During Wario's conquest of Mario Land, he captures Mario's castle, scatters the palace's coins across the land, and places the inhabitants under a spell. Ultimately, Mario recovers the 6 Golden Coins from Wario's minions and opens the gate to the castle to engage him in a one-on-one battle for Mario Land. If the player gets a Game Over, any Golden Coins collected by Mario are returned to Wario's six guards, and Mario has to collect them all again.
List of Golden Coins
In the North American commercial for Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins featuring Wario, both the front and back sides of each of the 6 Golden Coins can be seen, revealing the artwork used on the back side of each Golden Coin:
- The back of the Tree Zone's Golden Coin shows artwork of Mario giving a peace sign.
- The back of the Space Zone's Golden Coin shows artwork of Mario in a spacesuit.
- The back of the Macro Zone's Golden Coin shows artwork of Fire Mario.
- The back of the Pumpkin Zone's Golden Coin shows artwork of Wario.
- The back of the Mario Zone's Golden Coin shows artwork of Bunny Mario.
- The back of the Turtle Zone's Golden Coin shows different artwork of Bunny Mario.
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
- Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console Manual Bio: There are six golden coins in Mario Land, each contained in one of the land's zones. Work your way through each of the zones to retrieve its golden coin. When you have collected the six golden coins, the door to Mario's castle will be unlocked.
Names in other languages
Muttsu no Kinka
|6 Golden Coins|
6 méi Jīnbì
|6 Golden Coins|
|Italian||6 Monete d'Oro
6 monete d'oro
|6 Gold Coins|
|Spanish||Las seis monedas de oro||The six gold coins|
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins English instruction booklet, pages 3–4.
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins English instruction booklet, page 4.
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins English instruction booklet, page 16.
- Super Mario Land 2: 6-tsu no Kinka Japanese instruction booklet, pages 1 and 14.
- Official Chinese website for the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary. Retrieved February 7, 2021.
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins Italian booklet, pagg. 3-4
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 78