|First appearance||Super Mario World (1990)|
|Latest appearance||The Super Mario Bros. Movie (cameo) (2023)|
- “The big coins are Dragon Coins. If you pick up five of these in an area, you get a 1 UP.”
- —Message Block in Yoshi's Island 3, Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario World / Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
In Super Mario World, at least five Dragon Coins appear in most levels, although places such as castles, Ghost Houses, and fortresses have no Dragon Coins. Collecting a Dragon Coins plays a unique sound effect, and it is also counted as one coin. The first four coins collected give 1,000, 2,000, 4,000, and 8,000 points, respectively, and collecting all five in a level awards the player an extra life. Yoshi's Wings can be used to access certain auto-scrolling Coin Heavens, where five Dragon Coins can be found. Six or more Dragon Coins may rarely appear in a level, with every Dragon Coin after the fifth also rewarding an extra life. In these levels, going through a Warp Pipe to a new area causes all remaining Dragon Coins to disappear if Mario or Luigi has already collected at least five of them, making the remaining ones unobtainable. Chocolate Secret is unique for having only one Dragon Coin.
In the Game Boy Advance version, Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2, Dragon Coins have a slightly bigger role. They now appear in levels that did not originally have them, and the number of Dragon Coins acquired is recorded on a menu. If the player collects them all, a cutscene plays, showing all of the collected Dragon Coins falling from the sky and being stacked together; afterwards, a giant Dragon Coin appears, and Yoshi eats it and lays an egg, which hatches into a giant coin with Princess Peach's face, resulting in all of the Dragon Coins in the game having Peach's face imprinted on them instead of Yoshi's. Chocolate Secret now has the standard set of five Dragon Coins. In the Nintendo Power Advance guide for Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2, the symbol for the Dragon Coins denoting where they are located in a level is drawn with a three-tined fork instead of Yoshi's or Peach's likeness.
The Dragon Coin's collection sound effect was reused for the Advance Coins in Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, the Star Coins in the New Super Mario Bros. games, and the color coins in Super Mario Run. In New Super Mario Bros., the sound effect is internally labeled "SE_OBJ_GET_DRAGON_COIN."
Game & Watch Gallery 4
WarioWare: Get It Together!
In WarioWare: Get It Together!, Dragon Coins appear in the microgame Super Mario World. Collecting them is not necessary to complete the microgame and has no real effect on gameplay, although the "Dragon Coin Collection" mission requires the player to collect at least four Dragon Coins in all three levels while playing as Jimmy T.
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
In The Super Mario Bros. Movie, a display box containing a Dragon Coin with the same appearance as its Super Mario World sprite can be seen in the antiques shop.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Dragon Coins were originally going to appear in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, where they were going to be a currency along with regular coins for some of the Bonus Challenges. They were possibly replaced by flowers. The sprite for them was completely removed from the Game Boy Advance port, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3.
Super Mario World
- Wii U Virtual Console manual description: Collect five Dragon Coins in a course to earn an extra life.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (unused)
Front of a Wendy's Kids' Meal bag from 2002
A Dragon Coin with Princess Peach's face, seen when all regular Dragon Coins are collected, in Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Names in other languages
|Chinese (Simplified)||龙币 (Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2)
龙金币 (WarioWare: Get It Together!)
|French||Pièce Dragon||Dragon Coin|
|Italian||Moneta del Drago
|Portuguese (NOA)||Moeda Dragão||Dragon Coin|
|Spanish||Moneda Dragón||Dragon Coin|
- Most of the games in the Yoshi franchise such as Yoshi's Safari, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island DS, and Yoshi's New Island feature coins with a Yoshi's head on them rather than the normal coin design. The coins on the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe version of the course Yoshi's Island also features this design, as the course is heavily inspired by Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. The coins in Yoshi's Crafted World feature a depiction of a Yoshi's Egg instead; however, the larger 10 Coins depict Yoshi's head, similar to Dragon Coins.
- The Plessie Medals found in the Bowser's Fury campaign of Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury resemble Dragon Coins.
- Nintendo Power Advance v.4. Page 18.
- New Super Mario Bros.#Sound Effects. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- Proto:Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island/ys romX 0/Bonus Challenges. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved October 30, 2021.
- Super Mario World Italian instruction booklet. Page 7.