|First appearance||Super Mario World (1990)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (2001)|
|Variant of||Dino Rhino|
Super Mario World
In Super Mario World and its Game Boy Advance port, Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2, Dino-Torches attack by either charging at Mario and Luigi or attempting to burn them with their fire breath, which can be sprayed upward or forward. A Dino-Torch can be defeated with a stomp or Super Star, but care must be taken that Mario or Luigi does not jump into its flames.
When a Dino-Rhino is jumped on, it transforms into a Dino-Torch. While Dino-Rhinos are immune to fire, their smaller counterparts are not. The Dino-Torches are also more agile and mobile; they can jump higher and move faster.
There is a glitch in Super Mario World where if a Dino-Torch hits Mario with its flame while he is riding Yoshi, Mario will lose his power-up if he has one but will keep Yoshi. If Mario is hit by the flame without a power-up, he will lose a life while still riding Yoshi.
Super Mario World television series
Dino-Torches appear quite frequently in the Super Mario World animated series.
A Dino-Torch first appeared in the episode "The Wheel Thing," where one is used by Kooky von Koopa as a welding torch flame while he is building his Mega Mechanasaur. Later in the episode, it is revealed that the source of the Mega Mechanasaur's fire breath is an oddly winged Dino-Torch hidden in its mouth; this Dino-Torch is not seen again after the destruction of the Great Mechanasaur.
In "Send in the Clown," two Dino-Torches are shown to inhabit a cage with a Dino-Rhino in King Koopa's "Koopa kid Bros. Circus"; after Mario is forced into this cage by Koopa, the chair he is given to defend himself with is burnt to a crisp by these Dino-Torches, which Mario later defeats by blasting them with fireballs as Fire Mario.
In "King Scoopa Koopa," several Dino-Torches, along with some Rexes, are shown to be employed as chefs at Koopa's fast-food stand. Later in the episode, Mario, after breaking into Koopa's stand, is attacked by Koopa, who wields a Dino-Torch as a flamethrower. After he is defeated by Cape Mario, Koopa and his Dino-Torch and Rex minions manage to escape down a Warp Tube. Occasionally, the dark green Rex in the episode is mistakenly shown with a Dino-Torch's head.
In "Party Line," one Dino-Torch is briefly seen pulling a caveman's vehicle.
In Dinosaur Dilemma of the Nintendo Adventure Books, a Dino-Torch appears to attack Mario riding Yoshi when they first enter the Valley of Bowser, spewing fireballs. If the duo decides to hide from the Dino-Torch instead of fleeing from it, it will find and singe the two with its fire, sending them running and causing Mario to lose his items when they fall out of his charred pocket.
Super Mario series
Super Mario World
- Super Mario World instruction booklet: These are dragons from Chocolate Island. Jump on Dino-Rhino and it becomes Mini-Rhino. Watch out, they breathe fire.
- Mario Mania: Mini-Dinos have hot tempers and foul breath. They shoot jets of fire when they're not moving, so when they stop, get ready for a heat wave.
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
- Denizens of Dinosaur Land poster: Chocolate Island is home to these dinosaurs. Dino Rhinos change into Mini-Rhinos when stomped on, but the little ones breathe fire, so be careful.
Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook – Yoshi's Egg
火を吹く点から、インド系ヨッシーと関係が 深いと考えられているが、どう深いのかは不 明。彼とヨッシーのイキサツについては秘密。
★Dino Rhino & Dino Torch
Due to their fire-blowing points, they're thought to be closely related to the Indian Yoshi, but how deep is unknown. The history between them and Yoshi is a secret.
Bio: ちよこまかと動き回り、ときおり真上か横方向に炎を吐いてくる。(It moves around steadily and sometimes spits flames directly above or to the side.)
Super Mario World
("King Scoopa Koopa")
Original Story illustration, Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook – Yoshi's Egg
Artwork used for a Super Mario puzzle
Super Mario Maze Picture Book 4: Princess Peach Disappeared
Super Mario Game Picture Book 3: Mario and Yoshi
Names in other languages
|Mini Dino Rhino|
Xiǎo Dǎhuǒ Lóng
|Tiny Lighter Dragon|
- Nintendo Mario Mania Player's Guide. Page 51.
- Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 instruction booklet, "Denizens of Dinosaur Land" poster.
- Nintendo Power volume 28, page 19.
- ¿Bug Super Mario World Dino Torch?, Rulumi (February 21st, 2014). Retrieved February 17th, 2023.
- Super Mario World Instruction Booklet, pg. 25
- Nintendo Mario Mania Player's Guide, pg. 51
- Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 promotional flyer
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック ヨッシーのたまご」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook – Yoshi's Egg), page 61.
- 「スーパーマリオブラザーズ百科: 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), Super Mario World section, page 55.
- YouTube - Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World Credits (iQue version)
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 55