Gray P Switch
|Gray P Switch|
Gray P Switches from Super Mario World (left) and Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (right)
|First appearance||Super Mario World (1990)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (2001)|
|Effect||Temporarily turns onscreen enemies into Gray Coins|
Gray P Switches (or Gray P-Switches) are objects in Super Mario World and its reissue. They appear identical to normal Switch Blocks except that they are gray with pink rims as opposed to blue with orange rims. When pressed, they turn some types of enemies into Gray Coins.
As revealed by hacking, Gray P Switches also possess the ability to transform Munchers into ordinary coins for the duration of their effect, similar to regular Switch Blocks in Super Mario Bros. 3. However, as Gray P Switches never appear in the same levels as Munchers in Super Mario World, this functionality cannot be seen in-game.
Names in other languages
Suicchi Burokku (gin-iro)
|Switch Block (gray-colored)|
|Italian||Interruttore P d'argento||Silver P Switch|
|Spanish (NOA)||P-Switch Gris||Gray P-Switch|
- In Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES, Switch Blocks appear in a gray palette in the fortress levels, predating the Gray P Switches.
- M. Arakawa. Nintendo Mario Mania Player's Guide. Pages 153 and 161.
- Nintendo Power Volume 28, page 23.
- TCRF. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3/Unused Objects#Silver P-Switch. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved July 31, 2021.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario World section, page 60.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 60
- Club Nintendo (Chile) Año 1 No. 2, page 11.