- Not to be confused with Light Block.
|First appearance||Super Mario 3D World (2013)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021)|
A Light Box (known as a Beam Box in both the American Prima Official Game Guide and the British English version of Super Mario 3D World) is an object appearing in Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Like the Propeller Box, ? Box, and Cannon Box, it can be worn over the player's body. Light Boxes can be found in sets of four (one for each player) inside a Ghost House. Upon a character wearing one, the block changes into the color depending on the character (red for Mario, green for Luigi, pink for Princess Peach, blue for Toad, and cyan for Rosalina), and the lamp on the front emits a beam of light, which can be used not only to light up any dark spaces in front of the player but also to defeat ghost enemies, such as Peepas, Boos, and Big Boos. The beam of light must be shone on the enemies for a short period of time to defeat them.
Players use Light Boxes to damage King Boo in King Boo's Light Smite in Mario Party: Star Rush. Later in the fight, a large gold Light Box deals three points rather than one point, but gold Light Boxes are heavier to carry. In this minigame, players carry the Light Box, rather than wear it as they did in Super Mario 3D World.
Luigi and Donkey Kong carrying Light Boxes in Mario Party: Star Rush
Names in other languages
|Italian||Cubo torcia (wearable version)
Sparalux (carryable version)
|Spanish||Bloque Linterna||Lantern Block|
- Nintendo of America (October 23, 2013). Wii U - Super Mario 3D World October Trailer. YouTube.
- Musa, Alexander, and Geson Hatchett. 2013. Super Mario 3D World Prima Official Game Guide, Page 16.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario 3D World section, page 234.
- Official Chinese website for Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Retrieved February 7, 2021.