|First appearance||Super Mario 3D World (2013)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021)|
A Cannon Box is an item that appears in Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Cannon Boxes are first found as ? Blocks, but after one is hit once, the actual Cannon Box is revealed. The player can then hit it once again, causing them to wear it over their body. The color of the Cannon Box changes to match the character that is wearing it. While using a Cannon Box, the character continually fires cannonballs from a cannon on the front of the box. If the player holds ///, the cannon can be charged, which increases the distance cannonballs travel and allows the player to hold their fire. Cannonballs fired can collect coins and other items, as well as break cracked walls and Rock Blocks. Unlike other items, the cannonballs can damage the other players unless they are in their Invincible forms or Mega forms.
Some Cannon Boxes, called Cannons, act as obstacles that keep shooting cannonballs to harm the player. These can be turned into wearable boxes if struck from below or hit with a cannonball. Cannon Boxes are similar to Propeller Boxes in how they are obtained and how they are used.
Cannon Boxes were added to Super Mario Maker 2 in the version 3.0.0 update released on April 22, 2020, appearing in the Super Mario 3D World style. Their operation has been slightly modified and now resembles that of Fire Koopa Clown Cars, in that pressing the dash button fires a short-ranged shot, while they can still be charged for longer-ranged shots by holding the button, though unlike a Fire Koopa Clown Car, charged shots cannot break Hard Blocks. A normal shot travels approximately six blocks far, while charged shots travel approximately 12 blocks far. If the player shoots a ! Block with a Cannon Box, the blocks appear all at once as if it were ground-pounded. A single shot is equal to a single stomp against Boom Boom, Pom Pom, and Bullies, and Meowser can be defeated by seven shots.
Super Mario 3D World
- Instruction manual bio (item): "While wearing this, Mario can fire cannonballs."
- Instruction manual bio (form): "Fire a stream of cannonballs."
- North American website bio: "Clear the way in a hurry by shooting cannonballs at enemies."
All Cannon Box colors in Super Mario 3D World
Toad's Cannon Box in Super Mario Maker 2
Toadette's Cannon Box in Super Mario Maker 2
Names in other languages
|Killer Box (Killer is also the Japanese name for Bullet Bill)|
|French (NOE)||Boîte canon||Box Cannon|
|Italian||Cubo cannone||Cannon cube|
Caixa-Canhão (Super Mario 3D World manual)
|Spanish||Caja Cañón||Box Cannon|
- Super Mario 3D World internal filename (BoxKiller)
- Nintendo (April 20, 2020). 《Super Mario Maker 2 (超級瑪利歐創作家 2) 》更新資料Ver.3.0.0介紹影片 YouTube. Retrieved April 21, 2020.
- European French electronic manual of Super Mario 3D World, page 20.
- NintendoItalia (April 21, 2020). Super Mario Maker 2 - Modalità "Crea un mondo", Bowserotti e nuovi elementi! (Nintendo Switch). YouTube. Retrieved on April 23, 2020.
- Nintendo Portugal (January 13, 2021). Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury! - Explorem um mundo de diversão Mario em conjunto. YouTube. Retrieved January 13, 2021.
- North American Spanish electronic manual of Super Mario 3D World, page 20.