- This article is about the object from Super Mario Bros. 2. For yellow-colored ! Blocks also referred to as "Mushroom Blocks", see ! Block.
A Mushroom Block is an item in Super Mario Bros. 2 and its remakes in Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario Advance. They are mostly found above ground in castles and World 7. They can be used to defeat some enemies, or stacked up to reach higher areas. They are required to be thrown in order to defeat bosses Tryclyde, Fryguy, and green/gray Birdos. Mushroom Blocks can also be found in most of the red Birdos' battle rooms. Mushroom Blocks replace the masks used in Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic.
Mushroom Blocks sometimes teleport a few pixels horizontally as they land on the ground after being thrown, usually if they would have otherwise landed in a place a number of pixels not divisible by 16 away from their starting location. This is because they are treated as terrain while idle and as sprites while carried and thrown.
Different worlds have Mushroom Blocks with slightly different patterns, as follows:
|Worlds 1, 3, and 5 (SNES/GBA)|
|Worlds 2 and 6|
|World 5 (NES)|
Super Mario Bros. 2
- Wii Virtual Console manual: "'This block can be used as a step or a weapon."
Names in other languages
Bloc de champignon
|Italian||Blocco fungo||Mushroom Block|
- Super Mario All-Stars Player's Guide. Pages 92, 95, 98, 103, 104.
- Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition instruction booklet, pages 30, 36, 37.
- Super Mario USA instruction booklet, page 20.
- Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten. Page 96.