- This article is about the objects that commonly appear in Super Mario Bros. 2. For the treasure in Wario Land 3, see Out of the Woods § Red Chest: Jar. For the obstacles in the Mario Kart series, see Jar (Mario Kart series).
Super Mario series
Super Mario Bros. 2
In Super Mario Bros. 2, jars are the main modes of transportation of Subcon; if a character goes down a jar, they will appear in a small room sometimes containing a key being protected by a Phanto. In some levels, certain jars within Subspace contain a Subspace Warp that allows the player to warp to a further world, acting as the Warp Zones of Super Mario Bros. 2. Magical Potions will not work inside jars though. Cobrats sometimes lurk in the openings of some jars. Certain jars are Shy Guy Generators and Bob-Omb Generators, which generate endless streams of red Shyguys or Bob-Ombs, respectively, unless their entrances are blocked. In Super Mario Advance, some jars also contain Sparks and Spark Chasers, as well as (sometimes Shyguy-ridden) Ferris wheel platforms, and one contains a bouncing blade; jars were also added to levels in that version, and certain closed-off jars in previous versions were opened.
BS Super Mario USA
Super Smash Bros. series
Jars made a small appearance in the background of the Super Smash Bros. Melee stage Mushroom Kingdom II, which also took place in Subcon. As the stage returns in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the jars there also return.
Mario Pinball Land
Four jars appear on the first pyramid interior board of the Shifting Sands Stage in Mario Pinball Land. In this appearance, they have earthy colors and diamond shapes on their pattern. They cannot be interacted with as their corners are elevated, but Snakes come out of them if the top floor panel is activated.
Super Mario All-Stars (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Names in other languages
- Super Mario Bros. 2 NES instruction booklet, page 25.
- M. Arakawa. Super Mario All-Stars Player's Guide. Page 89.
- Super Mario Advance North American instruction booklet, page 33.
- Super Mario All-Stars Player's Guide. Page 87.
- Stratton, Bryan. Super Mario Advance Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 8.
- Nintendo PlayChoice-10 Super Mario Bros. 2 instructions
- M. Arakawa. Super Mario All-Stars Player's Guide. Page 96.
- Super Mario Advance North American instruction booklet, page 25.
- Stratton, Bryan. Super Mario Advance Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Pages 39, 40, 59, 60, 63, 64, 73, 74, 76, 87.
- Stratton, Bryan. Super Mario Advance Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Pages 58, 59, 69, 76.
- Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic instruction booklet, page 34.
- iQue's promotional demo play videos of Super Mario Advance and Wario Land 4. Retrieved February 9, 2020.