- This article is about the enemy that first debuted in Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, and later in Super Mario Bros. 2. For the birds that are named albatrosses in Game & Watch Gallery 3, see Seagull.
Artwork of an Albatoss carrying a Bob-omb in its talons from Super Mario Advance
|First appearance||Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (1987, overall)|
Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988, Super Mario franchise)
|Latest appearance||Ultimate NES Remix (2014)|
Super Mario series
Super Mario Bros. 2
In Super Mario Bros. 2, Albatosses used to be normal residents of Subcon until Wart took control. Albatosses carry Bob-Ombs and drop them, attempting to hit one of the playable characters: Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, or Toad. An Albatoss can be defeated if the player's character throws a vegetable at it or touches it under the Starman effects. Unlike most other enemies, Albatosses cannot be picked up and thrown.
If an Albatoss flies low enough, the character can jump on its back and ride on it. World 6-2 and World 7-1 require the player's character to ride Albatosses to reach otherwise inaccessible parts of the level; these Albatosses do not carry Bob-Ombs.
Super Mario Bros. 3 ports and remakes
The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!
- “Albatoss leader to squadron, Bob-Ombs away!”
- —Albatoss, "Jungle Fever"
Albatosses make a few appearances in The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! They are usually used as bombers by King Koopa, and they sometimes capture Mario and company in nets. Albatosses are also seen in the show's intro. In this show, they have a dark-brownish head, instead of matching their bodies' red color.
In the episode "Jungle Fever," Mario and his friends ride an Albatoss to get off the bridge King Koopa sliced. The one in this episode is shown to be able to speak, as shown after getting a Birdo egg on its face. Koopa's rocket also slightly resembles the head of an Albatoss. Additionally, the character Hooded Robin somewhat resembles an Albatoss.
List of episodes featuring Albatosses
- The Bird! The Bird!
- Jungle Fever
- Two Plumbers and a Baby
- The Pied Koopa
- On Her Majesty's Sewer Service
- Mario and Joliet
- Koopa Klaus
- Bad Rap
- Mario of the Apes
- Raiders of the Lost Mushroom
King Koopa's Kool Kartoons
Super Mario series
- Super Mario Bros. 2 instruction booklet: "He used to be only a resident in the world of dreams. Now, by order of Wart, he works as a carrier of Bob-Ombs."
- Super Mario Advance instruction booklet: "Albatosses were just average residents of Subspace until Wart ordered them to carry Bob-ombs about."
Tribe: Dinosaur clan
Game appearances: USA
A reliable pterosaur
Several pterodactyls fly in formation. You cannot lift them, but you can ride on their backs. There are stages where you have to ride on the back of a pterosaur in order to advance. It is a reliable transport. Its American name is Albatoss.
Bio: 空中を飛んでいる。マリオに向かってボブを落としてくるタイプもいる。 (They are flying through the air. Some types drop Bob-ombs toward Mario.)
Super Mario USA artwork
An early poster for The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, showing a pelican-like Albatoss holding a red Bob-Omb
Super Mario Maze Picture Book 6: Take down Wart!
Names in other languages
|Pun on "condor" and either "toss" or「飛ぶ」(tobu, to fly)|
Transliteration of the Super Mario Bros. 2 name
Alternate transliteration of the English name.
|Italian||Albatiro (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Albatrosso (Super Mario Advance)
Albatros bombardieri (Super Show!)
|Compound of "albatros" (albatross) and "tiro" (throw)|
Compound of "albatros" (albatross) and "rosso" (red); it could also be taken from the English name
|Transliteration of the English name|
- In Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, Albatosses move at two frames, while in Super Mario Bros. 2, they move at seven frames; an eighth frame exists, showing the wings moving back upwards, but is unused due to a glitch. The Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario Advance remakes restore the missing frame.
- In the Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten, Albatosses are erroneously referred to as pterosaurs and listed as "dinosaurs" for their species category.
- "He used to only be a resident in the world of dreams. Now, by order of Wart, he works as a carrier of Bob-Ombs." - Super Mario Bros. 2 instruction booklet, page 25.
- King koopa’s kool kartoons Compilation. YouTube.
- Shogakukan. 1994.「パーフェクト版 マリオキャラクター大事典」 (Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten), page 140.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario USA section, page 68.
- Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic instruction booklet, page 33.
- Super Mario USA instruction booklet, page 28.
- Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten, page 225.
- From the ending scenes of Super Mario Advance as localized by iQue. Reference: 无敌阿尔宙斯 (August 28, 2013). 神游 超级马力欧2敌人官译. Baidu Tieba. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- The Cutting Room Floor