Soft sand, also referred to as soft desert sand or simply sand, is a type of Semisolid Platform that can be destroyed. It first appeared in Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2, where it is found in the deserts of World 2 and World 6. Mario and his friends can dig the sand directly under their feet when is pressed as long as they are not carrying anything with their hands. Toad is the fastest digger, followed by Mario, then Luigi, and finally Princess Toadstool. Soft sand can also be blown up by Bob-ombs and bombs.
Names in other languages
- Super Mario Bros. 2 instruction booklet, page 13. "On the surface of the desert, you can also dig in the soft sand."
- Super Mario All-Stars instruction booklet, page 18. "On the surface of the desert, you can also dig in the soft sand."
- Super Mario Advance European instruction booklet, page 9. "You’ll also be able to dig holes in the soft desert sand."
- Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition instruction booklet, page 35. "Press to pull grass out of the ground or to dig through sand."
- Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic instruction booklet, page 20. 「砂漠の面では、やわらかい土を掘っていくこともできるんだよ。」
- Super Mario Collection instruction booklet. 「砂漠では、やわらかい土を掘っていくこともできます。」
- Super Mario Advance Japanese instruction booklet, page 21. 「砂漠の面では、やわらかい土を掘っていくこともできるんだよ。」
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario USA section, page 70.
- Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) Italian manual, page 36