- This article is about the scale-like platforms. For lifts in general, see Lift.
|First appearance||Super Mario Bros. (1985)|
|Latest appearance||Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. (2020)|
Scale Lifts, also called Balance Lifts, Balance Beams, and Scale Platforms, are platforms present in the Super Mario series. When a player lands on one platform, the parallel one rises. If the player lingers too long on one platform, the scale breaks apart.
Super Mario series
Super Mario Bros. / Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Balance Lifts make their first appearance in Super Mario Bros., where they are the main gimmick of World 3-3, World 4-3 and World 6-3. The player is given 1,000 points if they break the lifts. They return in Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, where they are more prevalent, being found in eight of the thirteen worlds. This time, they are made of mushrooms instead of metal. However, in the Super Mario All-Stars remake, both games feature them in their metallic form.
Super Mario Sunshine
Scale Lifts (localized as scales) are built into the cliffside of Noki Bay. In this game, a scale is a pulley system with a platform attached to it. Filling the attached jug with water causes the platform to rise. The jug is cracked and slowly leaks water, causing the platform to lower.
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
New Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
New Super Mario Bros. 2
New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U / New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Scale Lifts appear in New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, and their remake. They are common objects in Above the Cheep Cheep Seas and Scaling the Mountainside in the former, and also appear in Weighty Waddlewings in the latter. They work as they did in New Super Mario Bros. 2.
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Scale Lifts appear in Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis, where they are known as Balance Beams. They only appear in Room 6-4 and Room 6-7 of Toadstool Castle. If a Mini Mario steps onto one of the Balance Beam's platforms, it lowers while the other platform rises. Two Mini Marios can remain on a platform at once. If both platforms have the same number of Mini Marios on them, they both move to a middle height. A Mini Mario remains on a Balance Beam's platform until it is swiped with the stylus to change its direction. Unlike their appearances in other games, Balance Beams do not break. Balance Beams cannot be used in the Construction Zone, as they do not appear in the Toadstool Castle construction kit.
Super Smash Bros. series
Scale Lifts also appear as stage elements in the Super Smash Bros. series; they react to fighters' weights and drop or rise at appropriate speeds. They also reappear after breaking. One appears in the Mushroom Kingdom stage of Super Smash Bros. and another appears in the Mushroom Kingdom stage of Super Smash Bros. Melee. Another appears in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, as part of the Golden Plains stage, though it is only available if the stage has scrolled to the right side. Scale Lifts reappear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in Golden Plains and the original Mushroom Kingdom stage, where they act the same as they did in previous games.
Names in other languages
Piattaforma a bilancia
|Portuguese||Ascensor em Escada||Stair Lift|
- Hiroo Tochikubo, How to win at Super Mario Bros., Tokuma Shoten, 1987, ISBN 4-19-720003-XC. Page 47.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis help (no. 21)
- Stratton, Steve. New Super Mario Bros. U PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 107.
- Alan Averill and Jennifer Villarreal. Super Mario Sunshine: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond: Nintendo of America, 2002. Page 92. ISBN: 1-930206-23-2.
- Chaîne New Super Mario Bros. U. New Super Mario Bros. U - Mont Sorbet-4 - Troisième pièce étoile (Wii U) video descripiton.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 21
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pagg. 29, 119, 151, 200,
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 216
- Canal New Super Mario Bros. U. New Super Mario Bros. U - Planalto Sorvete-4 - Terceira Moeda-Estrela (Wii U) video descripiton.