List of Super Smash Bros. Melee glitches
This is a list of glitches in the game Super Smash Bros. Melee.
- SmashWiki article: Category:Glitches (SSBM)
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all names are conjectural.
Black Hole Glitch
- SmashWiki article: Black hole glitch
The black hole glitch is a glitch in Melee that causes several of Peach's turnips to become stuck in a small area. If a character touches the concentrated turnips, they will receive massive damage in seconds. There are several ways to perform the glitch. This glitch does not work in Brawl for several reasons, the main reason being the inability to perform the Infinite Super Scope Glitch. It is recommended in Hyrule Temple, but it will work on other stages.
- Have two Fox McClouds/Falco Lombardis stand on opposite platforms with a place for someone to stand underneath them.
- Have the character who is on the same team as Fox/Falco get a Super Scope.
- Fire five sets of three uncharged bullets, and then fire two fully charged bullets. Have the character charge up another shot, but get hit while doing so. The Super Scope will now have infinite ammo.
- Have the player stand behind the Fox/Falco on their team, and commence firing. The balls should reflect off of both shines, creating a stream of glowing balls flying back and forth.
- Have Peach jump into the shots. The player will see that when she jumps into it, a blue ball-like thing appears. Have Peach jump into the shots several more times. Also, stop firing then commence firing to help it go faster.
- After a little while, there should be a steady beam of blueish-green and a strange noise. Have Peach throw fifteen or so turnips into it.
- Then, once there is a mass of turnips in the blue beam, disrupt either Fox or Falco's shine.
- There should have a mass of turnips floating in the air which the player can do just about anything to.
If any character jumps into the turnips, they will receive a lot of damage very quickly. While being hit by the turnips, the character can jump into them to stay in longer, or away to pop out.
Daisy's Third Eye
In earlier versions of the game, the player should view the Daisy trophy from the back and look under her hair so the camera clips through it, where an eye can be seen. This is attributed to a faulty UV map. In later versions, the UV had been remapped, removing the third eye.
Mr. Game & Watch Kamikaze
If Mr. Game & Watch catches three PK flash moves (by using Oil Panic) and attacks, if he moves he will be sent flying through the screen causing an instant KO.
Ice Climbers Freeze
This is one of the harder glitches to perform in the game. Pick the Ice Climbers, and while wall walking up to the opponent, make the partner (Nana if the player is Popo and vice versa) and right as they have the player enemy grabbed have their main Ice Climber do Down+B. The opponent should now be frozen in place. Simply use a Screw Attack item to get them unfrozen. This doesn't seem to cause any damage to the disc.
Infinite Controller Rumble
To perform this glitch, the player must use the "Play as Master Hand" glitch (located below) in a regular Melee match or Special Melee Match. The player must make sure the "Controller Rumble" feature is turned on before playing the match. The player must earn a KO score in a timed match, or knock out all the opponent's lives if in a stock match. When time/lives run out, the controller will go into rumble mode and the game will freeze at the same time, causing the controller to be stuck in rumble until either the system is turned off/reset or the controller is unplugged.
Infinite Super Scope Glitch
There is an in-game glitch to get an infinite super scope that will never run out of bullets. It is obtained by shooting fifteen small shots then two charged shots and during charging of the third shot the player must get hit, that will result in an infinite super scope. If the player throws the scope, then it will disappear.
Yoshi and Kirby will need to be picked then go to any stage. Kirby will then need to steal Yoshi's ability. Kirby will then have to use the copy ability on Yoshi. The player (who is Yoshi) must mash buttons and the control stick to break free. Once Yoshi is free from the egg, he'll be smaller. If done over and over again, Yoshi can become as small as a pixel.
Playable Master Hand
- SmashWiki article: Master Hand glitch
This glitch requires two players in Melee mode. One of the players must connect their controller into the third port and play as Player 3. Player 3 must select "New Name Entry" selection in the nickname menu in the character selection screen, while Player 1 selects "Back" button. Both players must select their option at the same time, and if done correctly, the players should be taken to the Level Select screen. In any stage players choose, Player 3 will be Master Hand. Player 3 will not be able to freely move about, but they will be able to use their moves. Using the laser move will permanently shoot lasers out of Master Hand's fingers. The game will freeze on occasion.
Another technique involves one player. The player should make sure there is one entry and only one in the namebox. Then, they should perform the trick as above. If performed correctly, then it will continue as above. Having another player that's not a CPU while performing the one-player version of this glitch will cause the game to freeze. The game freezes at the end of a match, at some arenas, or at Classic Mode. Adventure Mode does work, but the character cannot move.
The glitch requiring two players can be done with one, by simply having the cursor hover over the name and pressing and at the same time to get the glitch to work. Master Hand can only lose in a stamina match and any kills it gets in cruel/endless melee go to Mario.
- zmzmzm42. (February 16, 2008). SSBM - Shrinking Yoshi Glitch. YouTube. Retrieved May 7, 2018.