|First appearance||Yoshi's Safari (1993)|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018)|
The Super Scope, known as the Nintendo Scope in European languages, is a light gun peripheral for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It fires an infrared beam that is picked up by a sensor placed on top of the television, and where on the screen it is aiming is determined by the sensor after calibrating the scope by shooting a test target screen. Various games utilized this hardware; the only Super Mario game to utilize it was Yoshi's Safari, where it was also seen and used by Mario in-game.
The Super Scope is frequently depicted as a type of gun in-game. Aside from its heavy use in Yoshi's Safari, Super Scopes also make a cameo as used by Sniper Bills in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and its remake. The peripheral can be seen in the WarioWare: Touched! microgame Gunslinger. In Volume 8 of Super Mario-kun, Mario uses a Super Scope (sent by Princess Peach) to defeat the Kurokyura.
The Super Scope is featured as an item in the Super Smash Bros. series starting with Super Smash Bros. Melee, allowing players to fire energy balls at their opponents, either in dozens of small bullets or several large charged-up shots (three in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl and five in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate). When a player repeatedly shoots small blasts in a line, the opponent is unable to move away when hit, but the player also cannot move while firing; starting with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, though, the player can walk and jump while firing the item.
List of Super Mario appearances
|Yoshi's Safari||Item||1993||Super Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga||Object||2003||Game Boy Advance|
|WarioWare: Touched!||Cameo in microgame||2005||Nintendo DS|
|Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions||Object||2017||Nintendo 3DS|
Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Super Scope
- Super Scope
- A peripheral device for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, the Super Scope is a wireless weapon that shoots infrared light to a receiver placed on top of the television. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, it can be fired rapidly or charged up to release a more powerful blast. It only has enough energy for 3 charge shots.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Super Scope
- SNES Super Scope 6
- A bazooka-shaped peripheral for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System that was used wirelessly with an infrared sensor placed on top of the television. In Smash Bros., it can be fired rapidly or charged up. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, you could not move while shooting it, but in this game, you can move and jump while blasting!
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- Super Scope
- Appears in:
- SNES Super Scope 6 (02/1992)
- American English: This wireless weapon from the SNES era can be used kind of like a bazooka in battle. Press the attack button rapidly to spray shots, or hold it down to charge up a powerful blast. The weapon's ammo won't last forever, so try not to get caught without juice left in your batteries.
- British English: This wireless peripheral for the SNES can be used as a kind of bazooka in this game. And it comes with two different firing modes! Press the attack button repeatedly or hold it down to try them out! However, depending on how you use it, the batteries might run out pretty quick. And if they do, the fun's over. That's it!
Volume 8 of Super Mario-kun
Sniper Bill from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Super Smash Bros. Brawl artwork
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U screenshot
Names in other languages
|Spanish (NOA)||Super Scope||-|
|Spanish (NOE)||Nintendo Scope||-|
|Characters||Mario • Yoshi • Princess Peach • Prince Pine • King Fret|
|Jewelry Land locations||Light Realm||Grass Land • Mushroom Land • Pipe Island • Crescent Coast • Spirit Mountain • Grand Bridge • Float Castle I|
|Dark Realm||Cornice Cave • Ghost Mansion • Float Castle II • Dark Sea • Bowser's Castle|
|Bosses||Hammer Brother • Lemmy Koopa • Ludwig von Koopa • Boomerang Brother • Wendy O. Koopa • Sea Devil • Larry Koopa • Sledge Brother • Morton Koopa Jr. • Iggy Koopa (King Gessō) • Roy Koopa • Firesnake • Magikoopa • Lakitu • Big Boo • Chargin' Chuck • Mecha Nokonoko • Bowser|
|Enemies||Anvil • Bloober • Bob-omb • Big Boo • Bullet Bill • Cheep-Cheep • Flying Goomba • Green Shell • Koopa Para Troopa • Koopa Troopa • Mechakoopa • Monty Mole • Nipper Plant • Para Bomb • Podoboo • Spiny • Spiny Egg • Tako|
|Power-ups||Power-up Mushroom • Fire Flower • Super Star|
|Miscellaneous||Gallery • Media|