|First appearance||New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009)|
|Latest appearance||New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019)|
|Effect||Turns Mario into Penguin Mario.|
The Penguin Suit is an power-up that first appears in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. This item is primarily found in World 3 and World 4, and from then on it can found in Red Toad Houses as well. The suit allows players to turn into their Penguin form. Mario and Blue Toad have a blue body, Luigi, Yellow Toad and Toadette have a navy blue body, and all have short, colored trousers. It also gives players the ability to throw Ice Balls at enemies, freezing them (just like the Ice Flower); allowing the frozen enemies to be used as platforms. In addition, the Penguin Suit lets players swim more efficiently underwater. The penguin suit also grants players the ability to slide on ice and snow and on water without sinking, as well as breaking any blocks they collide with. Traction on ice is greatly improved as well. It is also able to defeat enemies, but will bounce off a sliding Cooligan or a Piranha Plant unhurt. It is introduced along with the Propeller Mushroom as the newest power-ups in the game.
The Penguin Suit reappears in New Super Mario Bros. U and acts the same way it did in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, though the player can only get it through a Red Toad House in Superstar Road. Additionally, Penguin Bowling allows use of the Penguin Suit. It can also be used in the Penguin Pack from Boost Rush Mode. In the expansion pack, New Super Luigi U, the Penguin Suit made more frequent appearances in courses including some outside Superstar Road. In New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, the Penguin Suit can appear as a reward from Enemy Courses. Toadette and Nabbit also possess the Penguin Suit's swimming abilities, regardless of the form the former takes.
The Penguin Suit appears in Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition, representing the Water elemental orbs.
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
- North American website bio: "This special suit gives you the powers of the Ice Flower along with better traction on ice, faster swimming, and the ability to slide on your belly."
- European website bio: "Throw Ice Balls and belly-slide on icy surfaces for faster movement! Your heroes are less prone to slipping on ice, and can swim freely in all directions when in water!"
Mario wearing the Penguin Suit
Background image for New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe featuring various items
Names in other languages
|French (NOA)||Tuxédo de Pingouin||Penguin Tuxedo|
|French (NOE)||Costume pingouin||Penguin Suit|
|Italian||Costume Pinguino||Penguin Suit|
|Portuguese (NOE)||Fato de pinguim||Penguin Suit|
|Spanish (NOA)||Traje de Pingüino||Penguin Suit|
|Spanish (NOE)||Traje Polar||Polar Suit|
- When a character obtains a Penguin Suit, the sound effect is slightly different from other power-ups. A sound similar to a duck quacking is played along with the normal power-up sound.
- In the Super Mario Mash-up in Minecraft, Diamond Armor is replaced by the Penguin Suit.
- Concept art for New Super Mario Bros. Wii has the Penguin Suit as a Chicken Suit.