The Big Urchin's spirit artwork from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|First appearance||New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009)|
|Latest appearance||New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019)|
Super Mario series
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Big Urchins only appear in World 4, and just like regular Urchins, they will float up and down, trying to poke Mario and the others. However, unlike regular Urchins, they are almost invincible, only vulnerable to a Star. Also unlike regular Urchins, their pupils follow Mario's movements. They mostly appear alongside regular Urchins.
New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U / New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Mario Golf: World Tour
Big Urchins appear in Mario Golf: World Tour on the Cheep Cheep Lagoon course, where they serve as obstacles for the golfers. They are also seen as background characters and tee markers on the Sparkling Waters course.
Super Smash Bros. series
Big Urchins appear in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U as one of the stage hazards for the Mushroom Kingdom U stage. They appear on top of some Water Geysers and damage any players that touch them. A trophy of a Big Urchin appears in the game too.
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a Big Urchin appears as a shield-type, primary spirit, which makes the user weak to electric attacks when equipped. Its artwork is taken from its trophy render in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which itself is derived from its appearance in the New Super Mario Bros. series.
Mario Party 10
Big Urchins reappear in Mario Party 10 in the minigame Fruit of the Doom. Here, they look like and act similarly to normal Urchins, falling from the waterfall along with the fruit that is required to be collected. However, they move more slowly than normal Urchins and take up more space. Touching them will subtract three points.
Paper Mario: Color Splash
A Big Urchin appears in Paper Mario: Color Splash in the Snifit or Whiffit: Seabed Edition quiz show. If Mario fails a question, a Big Urchin will appear. If Mario fails four questions in total, it will pop the bubble Mario is in and ultimately result in a Game Over. In the bonus round, the Big Urchin pops the bubble after failing one question. The Big Urchin will also pop the bubble if the player refuses to take part in the game show.
Profiles and statistics
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U trophy
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit
|Name||Image||Game||Type||Class||Effect||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|Big Urchin||Super Mario Series||Primary (1)||Advanced||Shield
|Beedle's Tent; Spirit Board||Giant Jigglypuff||Rule: Item: Unira
||Mushroom Kingdom U||Ground Theme / Underwater Theme - Super Mario 3D Land|
On the murals featured in the restrooms at Super Nintendo World
|New Super Mario Bros. Wii
New Super Mario Bros. U
Names in other languages
|Sea urchin big brother|
|Sea urchin big brother|
|Danish||Stort søpindsvin||Large urchin|
|French (NOA)||Oursino géant||Giant Urchin|
|Italian||Ricciospino gigante||Giant Urchin|
|Latvian||Lielā eža||Big hedgehog|
|Polish||Duży jeżowiec||Large urchin|
|Portuguese||Ouriço Gigante||Giant Urchin|
|Spanish (NOE)||Gran Erincho||Big Urchin|
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, pages 145 and 210.
- Big Urchin Beach Ride Expansion Set. LEGO (Denmark). Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- Big Urchin Beach Ride Expansion Set. LEGO (Netherlands). Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- Big Urchin Beach Ride Expansion Set. LEGO (Canada, French). Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- Big Urchin Beach Ride Expansion Set. LEGO (France). Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- Chaîne New Super Mario Bros. U.New Super Mario Bros. U - Défis : Qui s'y frotte, s'y pique ! (Wii U) video description
- Big Urchin Beach Ride Expansion Set. LEGO (Latvia). Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- Big Urchin Beach Ride Expansion Set. LEGO (Poland). Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- Big Urchin Beach Ride Expansion Set. LEGO (Spain). Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- Big Urchin Beach Ride Expansion Set. LEGO (Ukraine). Retrieved July 8, 2022.