Artwork of Mario punching a Climbing Koopa through a fence
|First appearance||Super Mario World (1990)|
|Latest appearance||New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012)|
|Variant of||Koopa Troopa|
A Climbing Koopa (also parsed as climbing Koopa), also called a fence-climbing Koopa or crawling Koopa, is a Koopa Troopa that climbs fences. Climbing Koopas are found in Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and New Super Mario Bros. 2.
In Super Mario World, Climbing Koopas are found in castles and come in two colors: green and red. The green variety moves slowly, while the red variety is as fast as Mario and Luigi. Climbing Koopas move in one direction, either horizontal or vertical. When they reach the edge of the fence, they will flip to the opposite side of the fence, but only if a wall is not in the way. They can be easily defeated by fireballs, punches from the opposite side of the fence, or simply having the player be on top of the Koopas as they pass by. The bottom two eight-by-eight tiles on their back sprites appear to be flipped by mistake, due to the bottom line on their shells moving opposite of the rest of the shells. They also grant point combos when the player steps on them while climbing on the fence, allowing the player to earn extra lives. They do not turn into Mask Koopas after the player completes the Special Zone (or finds all 96 goals in Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2).
In New Super Mario Bros., Climbing Koopas appear in World 3-; in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, they appear only in World 4-; and in New Super Mario Bros. 2, they appear in World 5- and World 5-. All retain their previous characteristics as in Super Mario World.
Names in other languages
|Wire netting Koopa Troopa|
|Italian||Koopa Scalatore||Climber Koopa|
- English Super Mario World entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 13, 2022 14:17:58 UTC via archive.today.)
- English New Super Mario Bros. Wii entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 13, 2022 14:56:56 UTC via archive.today.)
- Nintendo Power Advance V.4, page 24.
- M. Arakawa. Nintendo Mario Mania Player's Guide. Page 60.
- New Super Mario Bros. Shogakukan book