Face block (platform)
A four-block-tall face block from New Super Mario Bros.
|First appearance||New Super Mario Bros. (2006)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D Land (2011)|
|Effect||Expands into a series of blocks when hit|
Face blocks (or face Blocks) are objects that appear in New Super Mario Bros. They start out as a single block with a face on it. Each time Mario or Luigi hits the block, another face block pops out above the previous one, creating up to four face blocks piled on one another. This can help Mario or Luigi reach higher platforms, enter horizontal pipes, or block enemies. However, if Mario or Luigi takes too long, the blocks will collapse back into a single face block.
Face blocks return in Super Mario 3D Land, where they are spawned from ! Blocks. They have the same design, are often spawned in different paths, and allow Mario or Luigi to access out-of-reach locations and collectibles, though they appear for only a period of time before they disappear.
Names in other languages
|Japanese||伸び縮みブロック (New Super Mario Bros.)
|Same as Stretch Block|
|Spanish||Bloque Amarillo||Yellow Block|
- von Esmarch, Nick. Super Mario 3D Land PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 11.
- von Esmarch, Nick. Super Mario 3D Land PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 164.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, New Super Mario Bros. section, page 119.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 119
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 186