- This article is about the object from Super Mario 3D Land. For the object from Wario World, see enemy generator.
- Not to be confused with Baddie Block.
|First appearance||Super Mario 3D Land (2011)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021)|
|Effect||Releases infinite enemies when the player character is near|
Baddie Boxes are blocks appearing in Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, and its Nintendo Switch port, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. They are dark olive-green boxes with dark-yellow borders and Bowser's emblem in red printed on their sides. When a Baddie Box is approached, the Bowser symbols pulse red (doing so only three times before opening in Super Mario 3D World) and the box releases an enemy, though it will stop creating enemies if it has released three that are still onscreen. Defeating these enemies causes the box to generate more to replace them.
Baddie Boxes are semi-rare, appearing in World 2-4, World 5-, Special 1-3, and Special 8-3 in Super Mario 3D Land. These blocks release two kinds of enemies: Goombas in World 2-4 and Special 1-3, and Dry Bones in World 5-Castle and Special 8-3. They can be destroyed by the White Tanooki or Statue forms, or while Mario (or Luigi) is invincible, although Baddie Boxes are typically found above hazards such as an abyss or lava.
A glitch can occur in Super Mario 3D Land when White Tanooki Mario or Invincible Mario ground-pounds; it prevents him from falling through a Baddie Box, which explodes, and the game starts to lag. This glitch can be done in World 2-4, World 5-Castle, and Special 1-3, with the last being the only level where the player can also use Luigi for the glitch. Another glitch exists in Super Mario 3D World, where if a Baddie Box is destroyed while it is activated, its sound will loop indefinitely.
In Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Baddie Boxes appear only in Bob-ombs Below, Bowser's Bob-omb Brigade, and Super Block Land, and they release only Bob-ombs. They can also be destroyed by Lucky Cat Mario.
These boxes are similar to the enemy-releasing pipes and jars in the 2D Super Mario and Yoshi games, though those usually cannot be destroyed.
The Bowser Jr. Block in the queue of Bowser Jr. Shadow Showdown in the Super Nintendo World theme park areas uses the Super Mario 3D Land design of Baddie Boxes but with Bowser Jr.'s emblem instead of Bowser's.
|Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World||GeneratorEnemy||Generator Enemy||Enemy Generator|
Names in other languages
|Italian||Cubo Malefico||Malefic cube|
|Spanish (NOE)||Caja de Bowser||Bowser's box|
- ^ von Esmarch, Nick. Super Mario 3D Land PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 11.
- ^ Musa, Alexander, and Geson Hatchett. Super Mario 3D World PRIMA Official Game Guide. Page 18.
- ^ A+Start (Mar 15, 2019) Super Mario 3D World Glitches - Son of a Glitch - Episode 87. YouTube. Retrieved June 6, 2019. It was also patched in Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury.
- ^ Adrylek (Feb 2, 2014) Super Mario 3D World Glitches. YouTube. Retrieved June 6, 2019.
- ^ Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, pages 185 and 233.