- This article is about the musical notes that appear in the Super Mario series. For the notes in Yoshi Topsy-Turvy, see rising note. For the currency notes in Luigi's Mansion that also go by "Notes", see Bill.
Artwork of notes and a treble clef from Super Mario Odyssey
|First appearance||Super Mario Galaxy (2007)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
|Effect||Rewards the player in some way when all in a group are collected|
Notes (sometimes called musical notes) are multicolored eighth-note items that appear in a few 3D Super Mario games. They appear as a result of a certain trigger, and they reward the player in some way when all of them in a group are collected.
Super Mario series
Super Mario Galaxy
Notes first appear in Super Mario Galaxy. They usually appear when Mario (or Luigi) grabs a ? Coin, although the ones in the Gold Leaf Galaxy appear if the player rings a bell with the Star Pointer. Afterwards, they line up, and Mario needs to grab all of them. The background music also mutes when the notes are activated. Each note makes a different sound and together forms a short jingle or tune, typically from another game in the Super Mario franchise. If the player gets every note, Mario will get a prize, such as a 1-Up Mushroom. However, if the player fails to collect all the notes within the time limit, the remaining notes will disappear. The notes are also used in a few levels where they need to be collected to get a Power Star, such as the Hurry-Scurry Galaxy, the Gold Leaf Galaxy, and the Sea Slide Galaxy.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Notes appear in Super Mario 3D Land as well with a similar purpose, activated by a P Switch. If all of the notes are collected, Mario can earn a power-up if he is in either Small or Super form; otherwise, he earns a 1-Up Mushroom.
Super Mario Odyssey
Notes reappear in Super Mario Odyssey, where they are much more common and are activated by touching a treble clef, though each set plays only the chromatic scale rather than a melody. Collecting all of the notes in a set reveals a Power Moon.
Super Mario Party
Notes replace Music Discs in the Super Mario Mash-up in Minecraft.
Themes played by notes
- The chromatic scale (Super Mario Galaxy games and Super Mario Odyssey only)
- Super Mario Bros. Underground Theme (Super Mario Galaxy games only)
- Super Mario Bros. Underwater Theme (Super Mario Galaxy games and Super Mario 3D Land only)
- Super Mario World bonus area theme (Super Mario Galaxy games and Super Mario 3D Land only)
- First few notes of the Super Mario Bros. 3 Athletic Theme (Super Mario 3D Land only)
Notes in the Puzzle Plank Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2
Some notes in the Mushroom Kingdom in Super Mario Odyssey
Names in other languages
- von Esmarch, Nick. Super Mario 3D Land PRIMA Official Game Guide. Pages 34 and 52.