Artwork of an Uproot from Super Mario Odyssey
|First appearance||Super Mario Odyssey (2017)|
|Latest appearance||Minecraft (Bedrock version) (Nether Update) (2020)|
- “A creature that can stretch many times its height upward! I have been hoping to investigate one up close!”
- —Bonneter biologist, Super Mario Odyssey
Uproots are enemies that can be controlled with Cappy in Super Mario Odyssey. Their name is derived from a word referring to a plant being pulled from the ground, and their name also refers to their root-like legs. In their natural state, Uproots have flowerpots on their heads and have red eyes. They are shown to resemble onions when their flowerpots are knocked off. They can stretch their legs, which, according to the Bonneter biologist, telescope outward, to reach high places.
Uproots can be found in the Wooded Kingdom, a secret lava-filled area in the Seaside Kingdom, and the Darker Side. They spawn from Senobi Generate Points. In order to break the flowerpots on their heads, Mario needs to throw Cappy at them, allowing him to take control of the Uproots. They can be used to reach places Mario normally could not reach as well as raise certain platforms. They are also needed to defeat Torkdrift through smashing both blocks and the boss's core.
In the Super Mario Mash-up in Minecraft, Striders are replaced by Uproots.
- Website bios
- Japanese: まーるい体に長い足！高いところもびよーんと移動。 (Round body and long legs! Can even move around high places with a boing.)
- English: Reach new areas with this little guy's round, bouncy body and long, elastic legs.
Artwork of a captured Uproot
Names in other languages
|Elongation of「背伸び」(senobi, to stretch one's back to make oneself appear taller)|
Tuǐ shēn shēn
|From「腿」(tuǐ, leg) and repetition of「伸」(shēn, to stretch)|
Sài nuò bǐ
|Transliteration of the Japanese name|
|French||Poupousse||Portmanteau of "pousse" (bud) or "pousser" (to stretch)|
|German||Mieswurz||Portmanteau of "mies" (bad) and "wurzel" (root)|
|Italian||Bulbotto||Diminutive of "bulbo" (bulb)|
|From "쭈욱" (jju'uk, stretching) and possibly "키" (ki, height)|
|From "корень" (koren, root) and "сорняк" (sornyak, weed)|
|Spanish||Cebolleto||Diminutive of "cebolla" (onion)|
- The Art of Super Mario Odyssey, page 146
- mario_odysseyJP (August 15, 2017). "これは新キャラクター「セノビー」をキャプチャーした「キャプチャーセノビー」。球根をイメージしたキャラクターです。遠目に見ると箸にも見える！？" Twitter. Retrieved August 16, 2017.