- “Heh heh! So what if you stopped da weddin'? Ya can't stop ME. Ya can't stop ANY of us Broodals. Come on-let's see ya try!”
- —Topper, Super Mario Odyssey
Spewart, Topper, Rango, and Hariet of the Broodals
|First appearance||Super Mario Odyssey (2017)|
|Leader||Madame Broode (manager)|
Topper (client relations)
The Broodals are a group of villainous anthopomorphic rabbits who double as wedding planners in Super Mario Odyssey. They are led by Topper, a squat, round Broodal who attacks with his green hats and is responsible for the group's client relations, while Madame Broode, a massive, overweight rabbit in a red dress and hat, is their manager (though she is never seen with them). They all wear fancy clothing, which is color-coded between each of them, and have dark eyelids. The other members are Hariet, a small female Broodal with a purple dress who uses bombs and is responsible for pyrotechnics; Rango, a tall and lanky Broodal clad in suspenders and a yellow hat who acts as the group's bouncer; and Spewart, a crude, poison-spewing Broodal in blue that vaguely resembles Morton Koopa Jr. and acts as the group's entertainer. The Broodals are seen riding around in an airship with Madame Broode's face as a figurehead. They come from the Dark Side of the Moon, specifically a location known as Rabbit Ridge. When the Broodals go into their hats, they resemble flying saucers.
The name "Broodal" seems to be a combination of "brood," which can refer to either a family of young animals or to dwell unhappily on something (with their dark eyelids resembling those of stereotypical Goth subculture, who are often portrayed in a brooding manner); "bridal," referring to their job as wedding planners; and perhaps "brutal."
In Super Mario Odyssey, the Broodals are hired by Bowser to plan his wedding to Princess Peach. Due to this, Mario has to stop them by battling them throughout the game's many kingdoms. The Broodals are first seen in Top-Hat Tower, where they introduce themselves to Mario. Topper is fought in the Cap Kingdom, Hariet is fought in the Sand Kingdom, Rango is fought in the Lake Kingdom and Snow Kingdom, Spewart is fought in the Wooded Kingdom and Luncheon Kingdom, and all of the Broodals are fought in the Bowser's Kingdom.
After being defeated in Bowser's Kingdom, all of the Broodals attack Mario in a giant robot called RoboBrood. During the fight against the robot, Mario stomps each Broodal, sending them flying away. Once their machine is destroyed, it launches into the sky and explodes into fireworks of their faces. Once Mario has successfully stopped the wedding, the four Broodals, now jobless, head off Mario within the carrot-shaped Rabbit Ridge Tower on the Dark Side for a final confrontation. From there, they challenge Mario to a fight against each, back-to-back, for the Multi Moon, culminating in another battle against the RoboBrood. Once RoboBrood is defeated again, it once again launches off and explodes.
Names in other languages
- The Broodals' connection with the Moon seems to be based off of the mythological moon rabbit, a creature based off of the Moon's markings vaguely resembling a rabbit with a mortar and pestle.
- In any of their dialogue, the name section for all four of them simply says "Broodal" as opposed to their real names, only distinguishable by a small picture of the rabbit's face next to said title. Their names are revealed in the pamphlet for the Dark Side.
- The fact that the Broodals use their hats as weapons during their boss battles could be a possible reference to a common magic trick performed by magicians involving pulling a rabbit out of a hat.