- Not to be confused with Dr. Topper.
|First appearance||Super Mario Odyssey (2017)|
|Portrayed by||Nobuyuki Hiyama|
- “Heh heh! Da boss wasn't kiddin' when he said you two're persistent! But I owe it to da family, to all da Broodals, to come at ya with everythin' I got!”
- —Topper, Super Mario Odyssey
Topper is the leader of the Broodals that come from the Moon and are working under Madame Broode; he is the member in charge of client relations. He is squat and round and wears a green suit and yellow bow tie, as well as a green top hat with a spiked ring. Under his hat is a small purple pompadour. Like the other Broodals, he is found in Super Mario Odyssey, and is first fought in the Cap Kingdom.
Concept and creation
Since he is the first boss to be met, Topper was designed to allow the player to fully enjoy playing with the cap to hit him. His height was chosen in order for Mario to be able to easily jump on his head.
Super Mario Odyssey
Topper is introduced and first fought at the Cap Kingdom in Super Mario Odyssey. In battle, Topper stacks two copies of his hat atop his regular one before skipping towards Mario. Mario must knock off his hats using Cappy to damage him; once knocked off, the hat will slide around spinning like a Koopa Shell, and can be hit for one heart each. He also has an attack where he spins along the ground level with the hats on his head. This attack can make him dizzy, giving Mario a good opportunity to strike. Once all the hats are removed, Topper will be stunned, and Mario must attack the top of his head. He can also be attacked directly while he is spinning along the ground. After he is hit, Topper will hide in one of his hats, and all three will bounce around like shells. At this point, Mario must hit the hat he is in to stop him, with the other hats again providing hearts. From here, the attack pattern starts over, with the exception that Topper now panics and runs instead of sitting stunned when his head is exposed. After he is hit at this point, Topper is defeated and falls to the ground in a daze.
He is later fought again in Bowser's Kingdom. In this fight, he uses seven hats instead of just two, runs away in panic when all the hats are knocked off, and must be stomped three times just like the other Broodals. Topper is also one of the pilots of RoboBrood. The final fight is at the Rabbit Ridge tower at Dark Side. Topper addresses Mario by stating that, even though Mario stopped Bowser from marrying Peach, he still has to deal with them. His strategy is the same as in Bowser's Kingdom and he once again pilots RoboBrood during its second fight with the other Broodals.
Topper, Client Relations
Poise under pressure.
Responsible for client relations on behalf of the Broodals' wedding-planning firm, Topper is usually found on-site, troubleshooting.
You can tell how serious he is about a battle by the number of hats he has stacked up on his head; he doesn't tap into his full hat reserves except for the most dangerous opponents. So if you square off with him and he seems to be mostly hat, you should feel honored...and afraid.
Names in other languages
- Based on some of his speech mannerisms (e.g. pronouncing "the" as "da", dropping the "g" from the end of certain words, and pronouncing "you" as "ya"), it is implied that Topper speaks with a Brooklyn accent.
- Topper is the only one of the four Broodals whose two story-oriented battles are both mandatory and is also the only one to have a battle that only requires two hits to defeat him.
- If Topper splits into different hats near the edge of the arena, one hat may get pushed outside it. If that hat contains Topper, he will be teleported back into the arena.
- Of all four Broodals, Topper is the only one to never give any Power Moons or Multi Moons for beating him alone. Rango and Spewart both give up one Multi Moon and one Power Moon, while Harriet gives one Multi Moon.
- Topper is the only Broodal who can be defeated with his hat on.