The Side Somersault (or side somersault), named Side-flip by Prima Games' guides and also named Cartwheel, is a high jump that debuted in Super Mario 64. It typically grants a small amount more height than the Backwards Somersault. It is useful when the player wants to immediately jump high to reach high ledges. To use it, the character must run in one direction, then simultaneously turn to run in the other direction and jump.
Super Mario Sunshine
- Instruction booklet description:
This jump comes in handy when trying to reach places a standard jump can't or for getting above large enemies.
In this case, face away from the wall and tilt to the left.
Immediately tilt back to the right and press .
Super Mario 3D Land
- North American Website Bio: "This move lets Mario do a quick about-face and launch into the air with extra height."
- European Website Bio: "While dashing, push the Circle Pad in the opposite direction and press the B Button (or the A Button) to perform a side somersault. Mario jumps higher than with an ordinary jump."
Names in other languages
|French (NOA)||Salto latéral||Side Somersault|
|Italian||Capriola laterale||Side Somersault|
|Portuguese (NOE)||Salto Lateral||Sideways Jump|
|Spanish (NOA)||Salto Lateral||Lateral Jump|
|Spanish (NOE)||Voltereta Lateral||Cartwheel|
- Nintendo Official Magazine (UK) issue 54, page 20.
- Super Mario Odyssey (1.2.0) Action Guide, Japanese Language
- Super Mario Galaxy instruction booklet, French segment
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 move pamphlet, French side