|Applies to||Mario, Luigi|
|Item needed||Vanish Cap (Super Mario 64) or Power Flower (Super Mario 64 DS, exclusive to Luigi)|
|Power(s) given||Walk through some walls, walk through enemies|
|First appearance||Super Mario 64 (1996)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
Vanish Mario (referred to as Invisibility Power in Super Mario 64 DS), or Pixel Mario, is one of Mario's special forms from Super Mario 64. Mario can transform into it by collecting a Vanish Cap, found inside blue Cap Blocks, which are activated by triggering the Cap Switch in the Vanish Cap Under the Moat secret area. As Vanish Mario, he is invisible to enemies (and dithered to the player) and is thus able to pass by them unharmed. In addition, he is able to pass through cages, ice, and certain walls. However, he can still be defeated by drowning, being crushed, or falling from heights.
In Dire, Dire Docks, Vanish Mario can combine his Vanish Cap with the Metal Cap to become Vanish Metal Mario, which will protect him from drowning or suffocating, while maintaining the ability to go through certain walls.
In Super Mario 64 DS, the Vanish form is granted exclusively to Luigi; however, the differences in terms of gameplay, aside from Luigi's slightly different handling, are subtle. As the Vanish Cap is absent in the remake, a Power Flower, which is typically found in a red ? Block, is required for the transformation. Additionally, Vanish Mario can walk through ice, whereas Luigi cannot. However, Luigi cannot be seen by some enemies and can pass through walls and cages vertically and horizontally, while Mario can only pass through walls horizontally and can still be seen by some enemies.
Metal Mario using the Vanish Cap
Names in other languages
- The song that plays when the player is Vanish Mario is an arrangement of the theme of Superstar Mario from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, which in turn is an arrangement of Invincible Mario's theme from Super Mario Bros.
- This theme is shared with Wing Mario.
- The theme for Vanish Mario in Super Mario 64 was recycled for Invincible Mario's theme in New Super Mario Bros., but it was slightly remixed, adding extra drums.
- Super Mario 64 DS English instruction manual, p. 20.
- Bath, Prima. Ultimate Nintendo 64 Pocket Power Guide, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 59.