|Applies to||Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Toad, Rosalina, Toadette|
|Item needed||Boomerang Flower|
|Power(s) given||Throw boomerangs|
Pick up items/defeat enemies from a distance
|First appearance||Super Mario 3D Land (2011)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021)|
Super Mario series
Super Mario 3D Land
Boomerang Mario is first introduced in Super Mario 3D Land. In this form, Mario can throw one boomerang at a time to defeat enemies, destroy projectiles, and collect items from a distance. Mario can also jump and move away from it to dodge the boomerang and allow it to move back and forth continuously before collecting it (though its range decreases with each pass-by). If a Boomerang is destroyed in any way after being tossed, Mario must wait a moment before he can toss another (a brief glimmer of light signifies that he can toss another boomerang). Unlike Hammer Mario's hammers, boomerangs can only defeat enemies Fire Mario's fireballs can (as well as Bullet Bills and Banzai Bills). The armor closely resembles the usual blue armor worn by a typical Boomerang Bro, only Mario and Luigi's sleeves and leggings, respectively, are red and green. The boomerangs thrown while in this form resemble the boomerang item from Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3.
Super Mario 3D World / Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
In Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, the boomerang has a longer range, and both it and the armor are now colored depending on the character using the power-up (red for Mario, green for Luigi, fuchsia for Princess Peach, blue for Toad, and cyan for Rosalina; however, Mario retains the original blue armor from 3D Land, while Luigi's is purely green). Toad and Rosalina also gain gloves (with Rosalina's being shorter versions of Peach's), and the two girls wear boots in place of the form's normal shoes.
Super Mario Maker 2
In Super Mario Maker 2, knocking on a Warp Door in the Super Mario 3D World style may cause Weird Mario to appear in this form. On April 22, 2020, the 3.0.0 update added the Boomerang Flower and with it, the Boomerang form, to the Super Mario 3D World style for players to use.
Mario Golf: World Tour
In Mario Golf: World Tour, Miis can use a costume, golf ball, and set of golf clubs based on Boomerang Mario. The ball and clubs are available after playing rounds, and the costume is unlocked when the player succeeds 20 times in Endless Putting Practice.
Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
Boomerang Mario appears in Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition as a Leader, available with the game's digital update to version 2.0, unlocked after earning an SS rank (25,000 points) or higher in Course 5 of the Fixed Challenge mode in Score Attack. Boomerang Mario is a Water/Fire attribute teammate with an HP rating of 5/6, an ATK rating of 3/6 and RCV rating of 4/6. Boomerang Mario's Skill, Boomerang Attack, recovers 3,000 HP for the entire party and changes Light Orbs on the Orb field into Heart Orbs. His Leader Skill, Spin Control, raises the ATK of the entire team when the player clears Orbs of 3 attributes or more, for a maximum of 5.5x for 5 attributes plus Heart Orbs (2.5x for three attributes; 3.5x for four; 4.5x for 5; and 5.5 for all 6 Orb types (5 elements + Heart Orbs)). Boomerang Mario uses Fruit and Rare Fruit to raise his Skill Levels.
Boomerang Luigi appears as a Leader as well, unlocked after earning an SS rank (25,000 points) or higher in Course 5 of the Free Challenge mode in Score Attack. Boomerang Luigi is a Water/Wood attribute teammate with an HP rating of 3/6, an ATK rating of 6/6 and RCV rating of 3/6. Boomerang Luigi's ATK rating of 6/6 makes him the strongest Leader and Water attribute teammate in the game. Boomerang Luigi's Skill, Boomerang Trick, cures the team's paralysis, and is a similar Skill to a Para-Beetle's Support. Boomerang Luigi shares the same Leader Skill and Skill Item requirements as Boomerang Mario.
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
In the Super Mario Mash-up in Minecraft, Boomerang Mario appears as a playable skin. The Boomerang Suit also replaces Netherite Armor following the Nether Update.
Super Mario 3D Land
- European website bio: Picking up a Boomerang Flower turns Mario into Boomerang Mario! Throw boomerangs to attack enemies and pick up items that are far away.
Super Mario 3D World
- Electronic manual bio: Attack enemies and collect items by throwing boomerangs.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
- Boomerang Mario
- If you know how the Boomerang Bros. like to fight, they really aren't that tough. But if Mario BECOMES a Boomerang Bro—Boomerang Mario—what then? Will his opponents be stunned by his new moves? At the least, throwing a boomerang makes things more fun!
- "Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes." Mario's taken that to the next level with the Boomerang Bros. – he's put on the whole outfit! As Boomerang Mario, he'll not just have more attack power – he'll have a big dollop of fun flinging that boomerang around. Great times!
Artwork from Super Mario 3D Land
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (Battle Card)
The Weird Mario that answers the door in Super Mario Maker 2
Boomerang Mario stamp from Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Names in other languages
|French||Mario Boomerang||Boomerang Mario|
|Italian||Mario Boomerang||Boomerang Mario|
|Portuguese||Mario Bumerangue||Boomerang Mario|
|Spanish (NOA)||Mario bumerán||Boomerang Mario|
|Spanish (NOE)||Mario Boomerang||Boomerang Mario|
- Koopman, Daan (October 19, 2011). Super Mario 3D Land. Nintendo World Report. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- Totilo, Stephen (November 22, 2011). "'When we show a power-up to Mr. Miyamoto, we get a bit nervous.'" Kotaku. Retrieved September 10, 2018. (Archived November 27, 2020, 23:37:53 UTC via Wayback Machine.)
- Official simplified Chinese website for Super Mario 3D Land. Retrieved April 24, 2020.
- Official traditional Chinese website for Super Mario 3D Land. Retrieved April 24, 2020.
- 한국닌텐도 공식 채널 (January 14, 2021). 『슈퍼 마리오 3D 월드 + 퓨리 월드』 소개 영상. YouTube. Retrieved November 12, 2022.